Sign in to follow this  
Jadensmum

Pre school immunisations

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on for a while. J is doing well and has received full time support for his move to a mainstream nursery in September :dance: but I had an appointment through for J's pre school immunisations yesterday and wanted peoples thoughts on it. (Apologies if it's been done to death before)

For a bit of background....J is 3 1/2 and has Autism (classed as "moderate to severe") Severe developmental delay and epilepsy (which is currently under control with medication)

J had his MMR at 18 months. I do not believe the MMR caused Autism as he was already showing signs of being "different" from about 6 months of age. The only doubts I have in my mind are that the MMR may have helped Autism along if you see what I mean and I'm worried that a second dose may have some regressive effect on him.

At this moment in time, I'm just throwing thoughts around and I have got to admit that I haven't done any in depth research on the MMR.

I just really wanted to know peoples thoughts on having the second lot of immunisations and if anyone's children have had the separate vaccines?

Thanks

Denisex

Hi,

Can't really offer any advice - although I felt exactly as you did. My daughter has only recently been diagnosed ASD and she's 13 now.

I always felt she was 'different' from birth - and although she had her MMR at 18mths - I didn't have her booster done at 4yrs for exactly the same reasons as you say.

Take care,

Jb

Hi JB.

I didn't have Bens MMR done as a baby because I already had a child with AS and suspected Ben had AS too.

My DD didn't get her AS from the MMR, she was born different, I knew from a very early age. It did put me off having Bens done though.

I did however have it done when he was 4, pre school. I weighed up the possibility of him dieing from catching a nasty disease against him regressing further and thought I would rather have my son alive with disabilities than not have him at all, or see him suffering in hospital.

Just to add for anyone interested. If you have the immunisation at 4 they only need the one dose. I don't know why but thats what I was told and Ben has only had 1.

Hi

I had my 2 done without a second thought. I dont believe that it made any difference to my son and DS2 is ok.

Ds 1 was also a difficult baby and toddler before the vaccination.

He also had whooping cough at 18 months , although vaccinated and could have died if he hadnt been so to be honest I wouldnt put my child at risk of anything else that could put him in the same situation again.

As has been said above I would rather have him here with his condition than risk his life.

My thoughts only, not meant to influence anyone or upset anyone.

xx

Edited by trance

Logan had his MMR at 18 months and I dont think for a second it affected his autism - he was no worse or better before or after.

My NT daughter had her MMR and booster, but I did worry about the booster a little but she's been fine as expected.

I'm going ot have Logans immunity levels checked before he has his booster though as it might not even be necessary.

Lynne x

I didn't allow my 5 year old ASD to have the booster, he did have the MMR when he was 16 months but I dont believe it caused his autism, I think his differences started showing before the injection.

However ...

I have another son who is 18 months and there is no way on this earth, I would let him have the MMR now that I know my eldest has ASD - he is going to have a single injections shortly after I have fully researched them.

Some people believe the MMR vaccine doesn't cause autism but it can bring it out in children that are susceptible ... who have it in the family etc etc.

I know there is a lot of scaremongery about measles at the moment ... the first child died of measles this year for 14 years (and he was ill with many other things already). First child in 14 years ... how many children have died with common colds in that time - thousands I bet.

Just make sure when you make you mind up you go with your own opinion and not be forced to make a decision either way by your health officials, they can be so pressurising.

I LET MY TWO HAVE ALL OF THERE JABS AS ALOT OF U HAV SAID I DONT THINK IT CAUSED HIS PROBLEMS AS HE SHOWED SIGNS EARLY ON AS BEING DIFFERENT AND JUST WANTED THEM IMMUNISED AGAINST SOME NASTY BUGS. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS UP TO THE INDERVIDUAL TO WEIGH UP THE PROS AND CONS GOODLUCK