Sign in to follow this  
mel

does colour affect your childs behaviour?

just curious here, ive noticed that DS behaviour worsens when he plays with an orange chameleon we bought him. its flourescent (did i spell that right?) orange and we have noticed that when he plays with it he becomes very aggresive and silly (more than usual).

I was wondering does anyone elses child react this way to certain colours or is it just mine?

Guest hallyscomet

Hi

When my son was in Preschool one week they decided to have a colour theme for everyday.

One day was yellow then green, blue, purple and red. On the 'red' day they said all the children were 'wired to the moon' their behaviour was over the top totally hypo.

I dont believe they gave them any foods with colouring either just the colour set them off :)

H.

There is evidence of changes in neurochemistry and arousal levels with colour input, level of effect can vary significantly though.

My son absolutely loves the colour green seems to have always. I've not noticed behaviour changes with other colours but certain light conditions definetly make him hyperactive. The showers at his swimming lessons totally flipped him and certain shops...I thought it was just a coincedence but a shop we maybe go to twice a year always makes him hyper he runs round all the aisles and is very diffciult to control. We've not been in along while now though. You know as I'm writing this I just though it could be that bright white is actually causing the affect I've just realised as both places were predominately white esp showers combined with both having flourescent lighting. Other shops with the fl lighting make him excited but do not have the same affect to the extent the particular shop had could be cause the aisles were very wide so more light bouncing around off the white walls.

Interesting and thought provoking thanks for asking :)

mmh maybe coloured lenses would help more than I've considered before. Think I'll try for green tinted goggles when we attempt swimming again they were blue before and didn't help.

Lorraine

I can often taste flavours I associate with a colour when there's a lot of it around me. Orange is like carrots, green is lime, red is hot sauce.

We had Ot and another professional round recently who told me that the colour scheme in my lounge and the patterned wallpaper would not be helping my son as he has alot of sensory issues. It was red and sandy coloured.

I've started to remove the wallpaper it needs redocarating anyway and much to my delight my son isn't flipping and standing on his head on the sofa all the time so who knows :dance:

Hi Mel,

There are definitely some colours my daughter doesn't like - can't remember lots but the one that does still in mind is that she hates going into the school canteen which is a very bright burnt orange colour and that it makes her head hurt/feel sick.

Take care,

Jb

I can't abide yellow and especially the lemon yellow or that yellowey-green colour. Makes me feel feral :angry:

Yeah, it's definatly when yellow has detectable green in it I can't tolerate it. Deep green is nice but yellow seems to occupy that part of the light spectrum that swallows that niceness. Yellow does eat other colours and I think that annoys me. Yellow is tolerable when properly put next to blue but not mixed with it to create a light green. Green should be well-defined as it's own colour with no visible trace of yellow though it can be turqoise or navy which are nice colours.

Purple should never be combined in any way with anything and brown can only be combined with black and deep green.

Hi Lucas. I'm sooooo in agreement with what you've said >:D<<'> When the new VW Beetle came out, one of the colours was this very insipid yellow and it's just horrible, I actually have to avert my eyes when one appears.

thanks for the information. His bedroom is yellow. we have just moved in and when i asked him what colour he would like, he asked me to leave his room as it is. he sleeps so much better in there than he used to in his blue bedroom, it just never occured to me before that it could be colour related.

M has always liked dark green and he wants everything to be that colour. It's hard to buy him clothes because he usuallu rejects the other colours. He feels upset if I buy him sport shirts or jackets or with a label. Everything has to be as plain as possible. He also hates light colours in his bedroom.

Curra