Sign in to follow this  
marshmallow

noise reduction!!

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to reduce the noise for our neighbours when ds has one of his regular meltdowns. DS is geting more stressed at the moment and is kicking off continuouly, not sleeping well, upsetting DD and DS2 so they join in the screaming. It got to the point last night when we phoned NHS Direct, who got us an appointment with an out of hours GP, who had the brilliant idea of avoiding everything which would set ds off. Mean while the neighbours are cross, and I am yet again at the end of my tether.

My first thought was that you could ask the out of hours doc to prescribe your neighbours a healthy dose of empathy and understanding. Good grief, what are you supposed to do, gag your children? I really can't see a solution to this, and are assuming you already try and avoid any triggers which may result in a meltdown. Are they aware of your sons dx and how it affects your child and the family as a whole? Maybe you could go round in a quiet moment and have a long chat with them about it, if they are approachable of course. If they already know of your sons dx and understand how it affects you all, then there is little more you can do in my opinion. Good luck and take care. >:D<<'>

You could try phoning your local Environmental Health people and asking for advice (anonymously if you'd prefer). I have considered this but not actually done it as we live in a terraced house and E can be very noisy at times. Fortunately neighbours haven't complained, but I am aware it must be difficult for them at times.

I have read some tips about how to reduce noise, which suggests that if you put heavy furniture along party walls this helps to minimise the sound travelling. There are other more structural things you can do, but don't know how effective these are - EH should be able to help you with that though. You might also need to keep your doors and windows closed as much as practicable in this weather.

If you do manage to get any advice from third parties on this, it would be great if you could post it back on here, as I'd certainly be interested. You are definitely not the only one with this problem.

You could try phoning your local Environmental Health people and asking for advice (anonymously if you'd prefer). I have considered this but not actually done it as we live in a terraced house and E can be very noisy at times. Fortunately neighbours haven't complained, but I am aware it must be difficult for them at times.

I have read some tips about how to reduce noise, which suggests that if you put heavy furniture along party walls this helps to minimise the sound travelling. There are other more structural things you can do, but don't know how effective these are - EH should be able to help you with that though. You might also need to keep your doors and windows closed as much as practicable in this weather.

If you do manage to get any advice from third parties on this, it would be great if you could post it back on here, as I'd certainly be interested. You are definitely not the only one with this problem.

I agree with Emum- I'm in the same position. It's hard but you're trying to do what you can.

BW

AV

Hi Marshmallow,

We're totally in the same boat too - although one set of neighbours are particularly good about it - the others are not and regularly make snide comments that they can hear screaming etc - especially when it is right through to the early hours every morning - while dropping in comments that their daughter is in bed at 6.30 every evening.

Neither know of our daughters ASD although the ones that are more lenient are more 'tuned in' (their daughter is a TA in primary and they did mention one day that while she was visiting she heard my daughters screaming and commented that it was very similar to an autistic child that she taught!!) - whilst the other side continue to think we have badly behaved children and we are bad parents.

It is a constant worry but I really don't know what we're supposed to do about it - other than somehow manage to buy a detached house!!!!

Take care,

Jb

Our neighbours once threatened to call the council about the 'noise level' and get us evicted. A swift phone call from us to the council soon put paid to that - they knew about the dx anyway.

I had a meltdown earlier today and the neighbours were out in the garden, they're already not as friendly with me (they moved in at Xmas and I hoped it would be a clean slate) and this puts pressure on me, thus making another meltdown kind of inevitable. It's a vicious circle :(

Hi

You could try the OT to get some padding for the walls to help sound proff the walls not sure if it works but you could try.

Lisa x