lorryw

air conditioning unit

Weve just splashed out and bought a portable air conditioning unit. Its bliss and I am looking forward to a good nights sleep. Well worth every penny of the ?149 it cost. My Mum and Dad gave us some money a couple of weeks ago so I dont feel too horribly extravagant.

Mind you knowing our luck it will snow tomorrow!!

Loraine (sitting in a cool room sipping an ice cold coke)

:P:P:D:D

Yer jammy sod.

were sleeping with the windows open and no bedcovers on and were still too bloomeing hot.If the weather changes we will be balmeing you.

Enjoy a lovely cool nights sleep.

Ooh, I just bought one too. My dd's room is part of an attic conversion, all the hot air goes to the top of the house, plus the sun shining directly on the roof. She was unable to sleep in there last night so I had to make a bed for her in the living room so needs must. ?129 reduced (so they say :blink: ) from ?179. I've just switched it on, and will report back later :D . It's one of those that you fill with water.

Lauren

We have an air conditioner, which is great, but they are quite heavy on the electric. They vary according to size but typically cost anywhere from about 6p to 24p per hour to run, but most have a thermostatic control so once they've cooled the room down they're not running all the time.

Some nearby neighbours were partying loudly in their back garden until nearly one o'clock :huh: - ... again - :o called from the window to ask them to keep the noise down please and so they got even louder :fight:

Rang the police - they no longer deal with noise disturbance - it's the local council - they only provide a service out of office hours on a Friday and Saturday :( so I made a formal complaint today ... [think I'm in complaining mode at the moment].

Seriously considering one of these so that I can keep the windows closed.

Ours is noisy and I have to say that it was really a problem at first, particularly with A and his SID, but we tend to use ours to cool a room prior to use so the noise becomes less of a problem.

I think we might have to suffer with the heat then, the last thing I need at the moment is to introduce another thing to make DS upset. (See my post on noise reduction!!) He hates the sound of the air conditioning in shops, museums etc. Maybe one day :pray::pray::D

I been wanting one of those for ages, tell me do you have to have a hose going out of the window? If so could you use it just at night, would that be enough, my little boys bedroom has a sloping ceiling/roof(design of old house not extension) and there is no insulation or anywhere to put it and the temp has been up to 28 recently.Thanks for any info.

Perry Chie

Most of them do need to be vented, so a hose through the window is one possible way, although you can vent them through a wall. Not sure how the water filled ones work and whether they need venting.

You could use them just at night and yes it would be enough to bring the temperature down quickly for them to sleep although it would gradually rise again during the day when the unit wasn't on.