fiorelli

Questions Louis wanted answered by new school

Louis went to visit his new school yesterday, and between us and the EOTAS unit, we scribed some questions he wanted to ask, and left spaces for the teacher to write the answers - here they are with their answers (exactly as they have been written)- what do you think?

What Class will I be in?

Not confirmed yet. Probably Dolphins or Lymas.

How many adults will there be in my class?

3 adults

Where will I sit? Do we have one seat I will always sit on?

Yes in your classroom. At dinnertime.

How many classes are there in the school?

How many teachers and helpers are there in the school?

lots

How many toilets are there and where are they?

A boys block + girls.

How many times do we have PE in a week? What days will these be?

Twice. swimming 20 times a year.

How long are we allowed to go on the computer?

It depends

What are our library days?

No such

How many books are we allowed out at once?

Not much

How many breaks are there in a day?

How long are break time?

15 mins

Can we bring in a snack for breaktime? What kind of snack?

No. (There is a breakfast club)

Are there school dinners?

Food

What do we have for school dinners?

menu (although no sign of a copy of this menu for him to look at!

Can we bring in packed lunches?

yes

What can we bring in packed lunches?

food

What drinks are we allowed in school?

nothing alcoholic. Fizzy drink in lunchbox.

Do we have school discos?

Unfortunately not

A lot of them are very vague, aren't they?

My responses would have been as follows:

What Class will I be in?

Not confirmed yet. Probably Dolphins or Lymas.

You will be in Mr/ Mrs XXXXX's class

How many adults will there be in my class?

3 adults

There will be <insert number. They are Mr/Mrs XXXXX here is a picture of them. They will be in the classroom at the following times:....

Where will I sit? Do we have one seat I will always sit on?

Yes in your classroom. At dinnertime.

This will be your desk <Insert picture> and your chair, although you may have to sit in other places as well.

How many classes are there in the school?

How many teachers and helpers are there in the school?

lots

The following teachers work here: (a list of them with pictures!)

How many toilets are there and where are they?

A boys block + girls.

A map and more pictures!

How many times do we have PE in a week? What days will these be?

Twice. swimming 20 times a year.

Er...Thursday and Friday at 'X' time (in my class anyway!)

How long are we allowed to go on the computer?

It depends

Fair enough. I'd go with that response.....Yay!!!! They got one right...HOORAY!!!!!!

What are our library days?

No such

You can normally use the library at anytime - just ask first.

How many books are we allowed out at once?

Not much

Normaly only 'x' at a time.

How many breaks are there in a day?

They are at 'x' time.

How long are break time?

15 mins

Can we bring in a snack for breaktime? What kind of snack?

No. (There is a breakfast club)

Are there school dinners?

Food

Yes.

What do we have for school dinners?

menu (although no sign of a copy of this menu for him to look at!

We have lots of things to pick from. This week you could have chosen from the following...

Can we bring in packed lunches?

yes

What can we bring in packed lunches?

food

You can bring the following...

What drinks are we allowed in school?

nothing alcoholic. Fizzy drink in lunchbox.

(They TOLD him no alcohol? - they really felt they had to?!?!?!?) Water or juice.

Do we have school discos?

Unfortunately not

It took me longer to 'colour' my answers then it did to write them!

School report for school: Must try harder!!!

hanks guys. Glad(?) that you had the same response that I did on seeing this.

We were under the impression (read they had promised us!) that there will be a proper slow integration into this school for Louis, and that lots of work would be done with him including providing a picture book to help him get used to the new school. Instead, they think one morning where they can give silly answers to questions is enough for him to get used to the school before he goes in September!

Phasmid - yes, they REALLY Did say No Alcohol! And it seems like they really did have to say it!!!! Oh, and they have know since Easter that Louis will be eventually joining them (that is when they agreed to have Louis, and when the LEA TOLD us he was going there) so why they haven't got any idea what class he will be going in I don't know! Especially as there is only 2 days left til the end of term!

Oh, and phasmid, your answers are the sort of answers we were hoping they would give!

Oh, and what do you think of these....

Wally thinks he knows it all. He is difficult and stubborn and will not listen or acept help. He won't do well in life :(:(:(

Jonny realises that if he listens, learns and accepts help he will get better at many, many things. He will be happy and successful in his life. :):):)

Re- No Alcohol. Year 3 kid went to office at lunchtime asking for a bottle opener. He was told that bottles weren't allowed in school. To which he replied"How will I get the lid off me beer then?". He really did have a bottle of Stella in his lunch box.

Hmm - Not a great understanding of ASDs and needing to know about things in detail is there! Some of the answers sound sarcastic too.

Hoping they improve for you come September.

Crumbs that's absolutely horrible :(

It's so 'couldn't care less' like and outrageously flippant, that it's bordering on sinister. I'd be seriously worried about their general attitude.

Fiorelli.. I know you had reservations about this being the right school anyway. Maybe it's not as bad as it appears on paper and if the person was answering the questions verbally it would come accross different.

I know you'll be watching like a hawk anyway.

>:D<<'>

How did your son feel about the school after the visit?

Lauren

Crumbs that's absolutely horrible :(

It's so 'couldn't care less' like and outrageously flippant, that it's bordering on sinister. I'd be seriously worried about their general attitude.

Fiorelli.. I know you had reservations about this being the right school anyway. Maybe it's not as bad as it appears on paper and if the person was answering the questions verbally it would come accross different.

I know you'll be watching like a hawk anyway.

>:D<<'>

How did your son feel about the school after the visit?

Lauren

Lauren, he hasn't really said a lot. Although his behaviour is saying more than words can. He was upset because they got lost on the way there 'and went past the BP garage on the A303 4 times.' and hasn't really mentioned a lot about the school. Although he has said that he doesn't think he will be quick enough with his writing.

He is more concerned at the moment that he won't see his taxi driver anymore. And that he will miss Miss P. and Mr R. at the EOTAS unit.

oh, and to explain about this post above

Oh, and what do you think of these....

Wally thinks he knows it all. He is difficult and stubborn and will not listen or accept help. He won't do well in life

Jonny realises that if he listens, learns and accepts help he will get better at many, many things. He will be happy and successful in his life.

They were put on 2 A4 sheets (Wally on one, and Jonny on another), and were handed to Louis along with copies of the rules for the school.

Oh yuk hunni - not great answers were they......... :wallbash: Did they know Louis had written (scribed....you know what i mean...) them? If so, i'm not at all impressed i'm afraid.

I love getting little letters like that - is great that the child has thought up some questions and i'm very keen to give them all the info, even if they don't come with questions....

Is there any way you could - in a quick call to the school say,'Hello, I'm L's mum - i was hoping you could provide me with some more details/photos etc about L's new school....................' Blah, blah etc......

Something i've done for M is go onto the website for his Juniors - and copied some of the photos and put it into a booklet for him..... ??

Really hope you get it sorted. >:D<<'>

My son starts a new high school in sept as part of a ASD resource unit.He has visited the school 8 times, tried the dinners, been intoduced to all the pupils in the unit and support staff.He has been given a large booklet with photos of all the support staff, uniform, the school, his room, the dining room, the library etc etc, this would have been the sort of thing they should be preparing for louis a booklet with lots of pics and a details of school life ..........like the bell ringing etc.Has louis been on any visits to his new school? My boy feels very relaxed about his transfer as he knows alot of what to expect which has kept his anxiety levels down.