Sign in to follow this  
col

So glad she has left now

DD7, last day was yesterday. So glad that i didn't spot this yesterday as i would of lost my rag with them completely.

It was in her book bag, which i emptyed out this morning. It was an essay on her trip to chessington.

This is to the best of my transcribing skill's.

go to chessington (chessington has been heavily rubbed out and done again)

we wahnt yot hohff punois 10

wy want in a cantch it was fdnttn wanttn want get to the guonty a

nutty guonts cuntit bunl iuntihudtt in the wanthe bnotr thnsi weny

want to the antum how bunt canub for the puntlss cnntiss and thnsi

want whan?t to the kenty rantb and thinsi it was luntch tonm and thnsi

want went to sunty The pentss The want huntm.

At the bottom of the page was the teacher's writing

"Go to Chessington

We went at half past 10. We went in a coach it was fun when we got to

the goats. A naughty goat called Billy jumped in the wheelbarrow. Then

we went to the animals who'd been killed for their precious coats and

then we went to the kiddy ride and then it was lunchtime. Then we went

to see the penguins and then we went home."

So i presuming that DD7 had to copy what was written at the bottom.

It had obviously been pinned up at the wall.

I'm annoyed as the teacher should of done one sentence at a time. Allowing my daughter to copy underneath and she should of wrote it slightly bigger as well.

Another thing i wanted to ask is to parents who children have transferred from infant to junior school. Where does the details about the next school (date of start, teacher name and so on) get sent to? As i had to ring her new school as i haven't recieved any info AGAIN!!

Does the new school send it straight to the parents or does it come via the old school?

I'm just wondering whether your daughter wrote hers first, and then the teacher transcribed what she was saying? There's something about the mention of lunchtime that sounds more like a child than an adult speaking (my kids always, always describe the coach ride and lunch, even if they neglect to write anything about the rest of the trip).

tell you the truth i honestly don't know now. I thought she told the teacher what she wanted to say, then the teacher wrote it and she copied. (which is what i have seen in her homework book) But just asked her and she said that she wrote it and told the teacher who wrote her bit underneath. (not confinced as DD7 will swear the moon is blue)

But apart from 3 words she read what she wrote perfectly.

So now i'm annoyed as where was her LSA?

I take it that your daughter is in Y2 and has literacy difficulties? I think you may have got crossed wires here - I hope.

It is general practice for a child to begin by telling her teacher or LSA what she wants to say and copy it underneath and from what you have said this seems to be what she generally does.

In this case your daughter has taken the next step though and done a pretty impressive piece of independent writing - this is quite a lot of writing for someone who doesn't normally write independently and it is largely coherent and fairly fluid.

Obviously the teacher wrote out what she had written so that she could remember her own words and so that others could read what she had written when this fantastic piece of work was displayed - again this is general practice, usually used to encourage and praise a child

I think this is actually an excellent piece of work from your daughter and that it has been rightly appreciated as such - well done to her for making so much progress :clap:

It's just a shame her teacher or LSA didn't share it with you properly so you could appreciate it too :shame:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Zemanski

I agree with Z, I think that your daughter's work has been rightly valued and displayed for the wonderful work that it is. It is a big step to compose such a peice of work and it may be that her LSA was skilled enough to recognise that your daughter was ready to make an attempt. Well done DD7 :thumbs: I only wish that my 2 sons (dyslexia) had such supportive teachers in primary school :(

It is a shame that the staff hadn't shared this achievement with you though.

SV

She's always been able to spin a story.

I just looked at her work that came home a few days ago and was left in the other car. Her other work is a lot better so she has had the LSA scribe for her on a 'white board'. She is dyslexic, she has problems with writing/sounding out 3+ letter words.

Her reading level has been on the same level for the past year. In fact they even toke her back a level.

These are the same people that give her way too much homework that a lot of the time isn't modified.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8606

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=8933

The same people that said that they didn't think she was dyslexic as she was doing really well. And then as soon as i got the dyslexic dx they go and say we knew that all along.

Then there was last year's report saying that she can correctly form all 26 letter correctly. Then when they thought she had an eye problem, they wrote down "continues to reverses letters b/d p/q c/o

inverts u/n, m/w" Which was 6 months after saying that she can write all letter's correctly.

With her speech disorder and dyslexia, her LSA should of been with her to help sound the letters out. But nope she was properly working with the other 2 SEN children in her class who finally got a statement(DD7 LSA has been support those 2 at the same time). And leaving DD7 to struggle by herself.

And the thing about her eye's. They were and still are convinced that there is something wrong with her eye's. I toke her to the optican (with the note, which was pure dyslexic signs) got her tested and her eye sight is fine.

They slammed my optican, after i came back and said she was fine. The optican agreed with me and said that she should get tested for dyslexia. The optican was taken back by the note that the teachers wrote as it was pure dyslexia signs.

I went back and told them and that was when i got told that she can't be as she is doing really well.

They kinda slammed my optican, saying that i should go to someone else.

So i went back to mine, explained the situation and was tested further.

The school was still not happy, so i phoned the optican up and she wrote to the GP requesting referral to the hospital.

That pleased the school. At the same time i realsied that it was a visual perception problem which is no surprised as she has had an OT assessment in Y1 and in the report it was mentioned that she had visual difficulties which the school has got copies of!!!!

Also went to a different optican who noticed that she had tracking problems.

I did try to tell the school but they didn't listen.

She had a paed app the week before her review and the paed agreed with me and said that she needed an OT app due to her tracking problems.

Unfortunately the OT and the eye app were on the same day. So tried to tell the school at her 'lovely' review. Who said you can't cancel the eye app.

So i postpone the OT which was a mistake, as the eye doc agreed with me after testing DD7, she needs to see the OT.

I knew she was dyslexic since reception but got fobbed off. I have tried to tell the school that they are giving her too much homework, so they said, no problem they do it with her at school then they go and write a negative report for her review and give it out the night before.

Then there was the time in Reception, they were doing a disco and they all knew (as it is a tiny school) that i wanted spare tickets for the disco. I asked all the staff about extra tickets and how important i needed one for DD8.

When the form came out, it said first come first serve. I signed the form, gave it back with the money within a few minutes.

Did i get one a spare ticket? No ! So i couldn't go. Found out later that one member of staff toke her son and a LSA had her elder DD and her nieces and nephews.

And then there in the minute letter "the school recommends that DD7 did some activites seprarately from her sister DD8 during the holidays. So that she can continue to develop her language and social skills."

That really got my nerve, If i plan activities for DD7, DD8 will be doing them as well. Can you imagine trying to explain to DD8 why she can't go to holiday club etc.. What about her social skills and language????

How dare they suggest that ?? That i let DD7 improve her social skills and her speech and let the older child who NEEDS it more get left behind. After all who's care's as she goes to a special school and is obvioulsy a danger to her younger sister well being.

Also in the letter "visual perception still seems to be a problem, so a visit to an Ophthalogist was recommended" ERMMMM, they suggested way before the meeting that i go to another optican, it was ME that decided that the only way the school would be happy was to go and get referred to the hospital. Just realised that i went and saw the optican that the teacher wanted me to see. It was a friend who recommend that i go to this person. They told me nothing that i didn't know or suspected already.

And they have contractdicted themselves.

In the minutes report after the meeting said that she didn't have behaviour problems, and that when she is tired will take longer to complete a task.

In the report i got the day before the meeting "behaviour is generally good except when she is tired; she can be cross and aggravate others!

in the review report says her writing tends to be at a 1c level and she achieved a W in the Sats level. HOWEVER in her end of term report she got a 1b??????? a couple of weeks later.

Need to find her report as i bet i can find more contracdictions.

The best one so far, review report last year said that she was the only child in her class who knew to press enter to get to the next question. Well the same thing was written in this review as well.

Sorry, but "SUPPORTIVE" they are NOT!!

Edited by col

Hi Col,

Really sorry, I hope I didn't offend you. I formed an opinion without knowing all the facts. You sound like you've had a real battle with the school. I hope things get better in the future. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

SV

actually you did me some good,

i need to vent about the minute's report and you gave me the opening, so thank's for that.

I didn't mean to upset you either, nor imply that the teachers and school are generally supportive, but this piece of work is a good one and your daughter deserves credit for it - the dyslexia is obvious to me and having taught at KS1 I know how hard it can be for a child to make the leap from copying to independent work when they have literacy difficulties.

Obviously the failure of the staff to share your daughter's achievement is indicative of their general poor attitude and lack of support - so sad for your daughter when she has worked so hard.

Hope you find more supportive staff in the next school

Z

Don't worry about it Z,

you helped me as well. As you have read my problems with her school, that i automatically presumed that it was her copying as that was what she has been doing all this year. Thank's for making me realsied that she has made a step forward in the last few weeks. And yes she does work so hard at school, they know that she tires easily but yet continue to give her tons of homework.

And as soon as she starts at her new school will be arranging a meeting with her new teacher and LSA etc.

She got an app to be tested for coloured lens in London (so hope that the weather is cool on that day) all my own idea, although have been chatting to Ian about it.

Hope that will help her. Has got an OT app in Sept. Will be asking them about her posture. That was another thing, they kept going on about her posture as well but yet didn't mention the OT.

Her dyslexia is so obvious to you and others but yet her school???

As soon as i have written to the LEA, will have to forget about it as it's in the past.

Hi Col

It'll def be that your dd did the work then the teacher transcribed. Much of Luke's work is transcribed, although there hasn't been much need for it over the past couple of months as his handwriting has improved; he still spells most things as he pronounces them which can be difficult as he pronounces certain words wrong (spaghetti is psgetty etc). FWIW I've had exactly the same problems with you regarding dx of dyslexia. With the school saying no he hasn't, then Luke being assessed as having dyslexia, then the school saying that they knew all along!!!

Hope the new school is a success for your daughter :pray:

Funny aside, when I was reading your post I thought when you were saying dd7 and dd8 that the 7 and 8 related to where they were in the family :o I was thinking 'how does she cope with 8 kids ' :o Then I realised it was their ages :oops::lol:

Lauren :D

Edited by Lauren

Annie has the sort of handwriting that makes me wince and puzzle over never mind her poor teacher.

She is listed on school action plus as having severe SpLD along with a fe wother things that make us all go ???

To encourage her attempts to scribe her own work Annie writes her efforts first with encoragement

After Annie has had a good go rather than correct all over Annies' own work (which makes her cry) her teacher gets Annie to read back her work and writes a clear version underneath.

If Annie has made an exceptional effeort her work is pinned up so other know what a good story she imagined . I challenge anyone to make sense of Annis handwriting.

Perhaps the school has a similar policy for this type of SpLD.