Sign in to follow this  
Jeni

White Scar Caves

my sons youth group were planning to take them all on a day trip to White Scar Caves, they got in touch with the centre and told them that they would be bringing a group of children with aspergers. after they had paid the deposit the 'really nice manager' told them that unless the leaders actually went to see him and explain to him what aspergers was then he wasnt able to accomadate the group and even then there would be no guarantee. apparently he had had a problem with an autistic person causing 'a lot of racket' and had had to call the police to have him removed in the past. this place is about 2 hours drive from where we live.

im not quite sure on exact details but i will be finding out exactly what happened and writing a letter of complaint because we are not happy about this in the slightest.

Edited by Jeni

Who does he think he is??? And what did the noisy autistic person do to warrant the police? How dare he demand all that, I'd tell him where to shove his caves and report him for discrimination!

Who does he think he is??? And what did the noisy autistic person do to warrant the police? How dare he demand all that, I'd tell him where to shove his caves and report him for discrimination!

can u do that? and if so how???

Bear in mind AS is currently one of those new disability buzzwords that gets thrown around in the media a fair amount but most of the populace have little understanding of it. Obviously the manager knows nothing of AS, so the first thing that's going to concern him is potential Health & Safety issues, and if the only experience he's had with autism in the past is a guy who had be removed by the police, I'd be hesitant too.

I still don't agree with it, but I can understand where he's coming from. With H&S being what it is these days, he could lose his job for not taking the proper precautions (through ignorance) with disabled kids.