summertime

sponsored even suggestions

Every year at school the children do one major sposored event and this year the head has agreed we can do it for the National Autistic Society. Im hoping to raise awareness as well as cash, Im planning on starting things off with an assembly for the juniors and sending home info for the parents before the sponsored event

trouble is I cant think of anything the children can get sponsored to do that is relevant to autism

any ideas would bve grately recieved

Sponsored stim?

What about if they all had to communicate via non-verbal (or non-'normal') methods for a day?

Was going to say about nonverbal communication but TheNeil got there before me :D.

Edited by Bullet

Bounce ? (tigger next to me mde me think of that)

We usually do a walk with our group

Tomato throw at LEA staff :whistle:

Edited by lil_me

We're doign something with our preschool and because the autism logo is a puzzle piece I thought we might do a sponsored jigsaw event or something - see how many little jigsaws they can do?

Lynne x

How about laps round the playing field (with the explanation that some autistic people walk in repetitive patterns as a means of keeping calm)...

You could perhaps even offer the kids a number of options and have a description of the various behaviours and (accepted) reasons behind them on the sponsorship forms, so you could have a non-verbal group, a repetitive speech group, a walking group, a jumping/flapping group, a jigsaw/puzzle group etc...

Great idea - hope you raise a bundle!

L&P

BD :D

My son (ASD) would like a sponsored X-Box playing day, which he would happily do for hours and hours on end ! Obsessive, he certainly is.

Daisydot

You would raise a fortune ! And never mind the Year 6s get all the Dads on it too ! Have an evening X-box sponsored event (with a few bevvies to help everything along) for Dads. See which Dad could spend 6 hours on an x-box - not a problem at all for my hub !

Daisydot

yu gi ou competition

or a child could be spoken to by several people at once and see if the child can understand what he/she has been told. It would make the children understand that noise distractions cause problems with understanding

Jen

or a child could be spoken to by several people at once and see if the child can understand what he/she has been told. It would make the children understand that noise distractions cause problems with understanding

Jen

thats one of the things I'll be doing in the assembly to raise awareness but if you have any other ideas on how to stimulate the problems asd causes Id be grateful

Hi I'm not sure what age or ability of kids this is for and I don't know how relevant this is to the wider autistic 'problems' but here's my idea. My son is an avid and advanced reader and we used to have a problem with getting anywhere on foot as he always had to stop and read signs, posters, adverts,drains even basically if it had letters he read them - whatever they said - as in "durex it goes on easy" when he was 3yo out loud in the supermarket toilets- lol it's funny now- got a very strange look off the other occupants though! I tried asking his nursery at the time to move the notice board at the bottom of the stairs as this always held him up but no they just carried on complaining about us being late *sigh*!

Anyway I thought maybe you could have signs made up around a large area and the pupils would have to stop and read them as they went around and see just how long it takes and then walk around without having to stop and read them to show how much quicker you can do things without the distractions autism can cause our kids to have. Obviously the signs could be filled with autistic related information. With maybe a quiz at the end to ensure they actually read the sign. I'm not sure which bit would actually be sponsored maybe for just taking part or I suppose maybe they could be sponsored for the number of answers they get correct in the quiz as long as it was straightforward with hints or something so mainly they get 100% all round and more sponsor money for NAS :)

sorry if it's a silly idea just popped into my head.

Take Care

Lorraine

thats a great idea, I could make up a multiple choice quiz on the signs, maybe I could make the signs with lots of other distractions on so the children have to look carefully for the relevant information. It would certainly work for the older juniors