Sign in to follow this  
lancelot

Great holiday, but...

We had a great two weeks camping (not even too rainy, for Wales) with all of my family -- my parents, brothers, sister and a total of 6 cousins aged 3 to 10. C had a lovely time of near-total freedom and was more relaxed than I've seen him all year. Another parent on site was astonished to hear (after they'd had a minor run-in with him about cycling inside the marquee!) guylines!) that he was autistic with 1-to-1 help at school.

BUT...

Since we got home, my mother's nasty cough has been diagnosed as TB, and the whole extended family need to go for testing. Oh joy oh joy... C and medical appointments just don't mix at the best of times.

(The TB team thought they had an easy case when they first visited Mum: 'So it's just yourself, your husband, and you sometimes look after your grandson?' -- but then they heard we'd all spent a fortnight together in tents, and realised they had at least 14 more people to trace!) :o

C was immensely cheered to hear that he should stay off school with 'any sign of a cough', as he's asthmatic, and can generally cough his lttle socks off.

Just to add to the fun, the kids have come home from camp with scabies (needing nasty itchy ointment) and threadworms (nasty chewy tablets). :sick:

I think I need another holiday -- minus children!

L xxx

scabies and threadworms..........sigh.. the joys of parenthood. think we've all been there sometime or other.I hope you're all ok with the TB, that sounds dreadful. I know when i was at school we got the BCG but apparently they are stopping it as TB is practically eradicated..... it would seem not!

I hope you're all ok. I know about the coughing asthmatic thing too by the way, my eldest is terrible for coughting with his asthma!

Take care,

Kirstie.

TB is becoming more and more common again with the increase if immigration from countries which have not vaccinated against TB. I was given the BCG at birth because of the large Asian population in the area, and TB is quite common in the areas that many if them emigrated from.

I hope everyone makes a good recovery from their various ailments, but I'm pleased it didn't spoil your holiday.