Sign in to follow this  
Tilly

OT - let down but not surprised

At the beginning of the year we were advised to contact SS regarding getting help for DD. We have 3 children and live in a 2 bedroomed house. The front bedroom has been partitioned and the two girls are in one half and our son is in the other (18 years old). The thing is dd isn't the best of sleepers and we went to the OT about getting a loft conversion so she could have her own space etc. To cut a long story short we have just been turned down and been told that it is a case of overcrowding :blink::blink: er hello thats why we want an extra room. Surely if we weren't overcrowded we wouldn't be asking for help!!! :wallbash::wallbash:

The OT wanted to come out to explain tomorrow but I've put it off until its more suitable for me. Whats the point of hanging around to be told what you could have had but not getting it :( So she is going to put the letter of explanation in the post until we meet.

In true Victor Meldrew style I DONT BELIEVE IT.

Tilly

Could she at least direct you to someone who COULD help you?

We were in a 2 bedroom bungalow and were initially refused as we had a boy and a girl and therefore it would never be reasonable for them to share so it was our responsibilty not theres.

I obtained a letter from our local CAFTS team that said it was urgent that our son had a space of his own to calm down when in meltdown and to have somewhere to retreat to. I also explained why we could not do it ourselves (increased care needs so Hubby had reduced hours and I could not work). We were immediately moved to a mandatory grant and the bedroom is now built and is a real godsend. Meltdowns are now to a minimum.

It may well be worth looking at alternative reasons for needing the extra space. In our case it wasn't applied for as a bedroom but a place of safety and calm. Obviously once the room is built you can use it as you wish hence it is now a bedroom.

Good Luck

Denise 2

I think it's Child And Family Therapy. There is also CAMHS which I think is Child and Mental Health. We were referred to them after our initial diagnosis and although we were no longer with them they agreed to write a letter for us.

Denise 2

I know another family in this Authority who has been turned down by an OT. It's interesting that in some areas the recommendation for approval is given on reasons of saftey as it certainly is with the family I know. Maybe it's time to rattle some cages :devil:

Oracle

My friend had the OT round last week to see if she would qualify for the grant to have an extra bedroom. The OT said she wasn't hopeful and suggested she put a make shift bed in the lounge for the youngest boy (age 6) so the older boy (age 12) with AS, ADHD & dyspraxia could have the bedroom! "What about when we are down here watching television in the evening?", she said to the OT as they only have the one room downstairs. She didn't really have an answer but still thinks it's a no-go. :crying:

My friends marriage could be on the rock because her husband doesn't understand or have much tolerance with the older boys condition and he's from a previous marriage, it doesn't help that the husband has to get up and go to work for 5am and goes to bed at 9pm with the older boy wandering around upstairs because he can't sleep - waking everyone else up.

I don't know how these councils work it out but it just isn't fair. :wallbash:

We were also told by the OT we were unlikely to get a room but we gathered infomation ourselves from the psychologist and were very blunt and open about the effect on our family to the man who agreed the grants, he even said we had answered questions he had in his head that were not politically correct to ask. Once he was in possession of all the facts he agreed it immediatley so don't give up.

Denise 2