Sign in to follow this  
smiley

OT and SaLT in prop statment...

Hi,

M's proposed statement has got OT and SaLT in Part 6 - non-educational provisions.

M need help with writing (1A end of Key stage 1), and has huge sensory problems. At the moment, he has no Ot help - SaLT came into infants once a term (though thats now stopped as he's at juniors).

Is this something i can haggle over at the LEA meeting? I have documents to back me up........

How much support form them should i be asking for?

Also...............(sorry - thinking of more as i'm typing! :lol: )

* do i need to have autism outreach as part of part 3?

* pychiatrist wasn't asked for a report (she's very damning of school..........) - i included her assesment within my parental advice but it's not in the medical advice of prop stat - should i askd for her asdvice to be added - if so, how? Do i call LEA now about it or wait until meeting??

Ta x :wacko:

Hi, I'm still waiting for Luke's proposed statement but PP have already said there is something on there the LEA do not consider an educational need and all I can think of is O.T or maybe SALT as he already has OT exercises and now during the stat assessment EP advised SALY assessment)

As far as I know there is a lot of debate and case law regarding whether SALT is an educational need (I think it has to be)

But I have not heard anything about OT int hat way but if its left out of Lukes I will be fighting it as even his hopeless primary school managed to give him that/

Hope you get it sorted, I say anything you are not happy about talk to IPSEA etc and get onto LEA about!

Smiley

You should ask for the SALT to be moved into the educational provision part if it is required to enable him to access the curriculum. LEA's prefer to have it in part 6 because they are under no obligation to make sure it happens as it its a non-educational issue. Autism outreach should be in there too, and I would phone the LEA to ask for an EP asessment ASAP incase things end up being delayed while an EP assessment is done.

You should also get someone 'in the know' to review the statement, might be wprh rininging IPSEA.

I hope this helps

Simon

Hi,

M's proposed statement has got OT and SaLT in Part 6 - non-educational provisions.

That's no good if it is to assist him in his education ... have a read of this - may help to quote bits in a letter to the LEA re the statement

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/caselaw.htm#LancashireJudgement

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/walsallcomplaint06.htm

M need help with writing (1A end of Key stage 1), and has huge sensory problems. At the moment, he has no Ot help - SaLT came into infants once a term (though thats now stopped as he's at juniors).

Is this something i can haggle over at the LEA meeting? I have documents to back me up........

Definitely - put it in writing though before you go to the meeting so they have a written record of your areas of disagreement.

OT is a bit more awkward to haggle for than SALT - have a read of this to get an idea of where you stand with this -

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/caselaw.htm#BvIsleofWight

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/caselaw.htm#Bromley

You basically need the reports to say that any therapy is to meet an educational need ... which the professionals should have done if it is a request for advice for assessment of special educational needs. If the OT and SALT don't mention this in their reports then send them a letter asking them to confirm that their recommendations relate to M's educational needs - it will put them on the spot but give you some extra ammo :)

How much support form them should i be asking for?

Difficult to say without knowing the whole case ... :huh:

Also...............(sorry - thinking of more as i'm typing! :lol: )

* do i need to have autism outreach as part of part 3?

YES YES YES!

* pychiatrist wasn't asked for a report (she's very damning of school..........) - i included her assesment within my parental advice but it's not in the medical advice of prop stat - should i askd for her asdvice to be added - if so, how?

Yes again - write to the LEA - as above ... and ask why this advice has not been referred to in the proposed statement - list the important facts about M that the psychiatrist raises that you wish included. Make sure that PART 2 will give a good pen portrait of all M's needs so that someone who doesn't know him will be able to read it and know quite a bit about him.

Do i call LEA now about it or wait until meeting??

Ta x :wacko:

Send them a letter itemising all the parts you disagree with and why - we also suggested new wording for some areas as well - then you know that they will have to address these areas at the meeting and they can't fob you off by saying they need to confer with someone else and postpone the meeting.

Bags IPSEA first this am - been trying to get through since 10.00am - got them on my speed dial number now! get the highlighters out!

Hi :D Thanks xx

EP assessment was done over the summer hols :D so that's all in and part of the prop stat.

I've been trying IPSEA since fri :wallbash: Very busy - time of year i suppose.....

(left message with NAS week ago....).

:hypno:

Time to put on the kettle me thinks! :wacko::hypno::blink::lol:

Edited to say - thanks ultra mum - off to mooch through your links with my cuppa!! xxx

Edited by smiley

Smiley there is also information re SALT in statements and where it should go in the code of practice section 8.We were able to get SALT,OT,Sensory assessment all included in educational provision so it can be done.Try and get expert advice and push for the changes you want.With the NHS as it is it will be harder to get the help your child needs if it is not in educational provision.If OT and SALT have been involved with your child they should have put in submissions to the assessment stating what input they recommend-The SALT should be aware of the need for SALT to be put in under educational provision.I would check the individual submissions - the code of practice gives professionals clear guidance.If you are not happy that the submissions reflect your child's needs you cas ask LEA for a meating with whoever submitted them.Karen

Edited by Karen A