• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. what if Wills and Kates baby has autism?

You might just as well ask "What if one of Wills and Kate's children turns out to be gay?" Actually someone has already asked the Duke of Cambridge just that... William worries about "pressure" on his children if they come out as gay
  3. Last week
  4. Studying ASD and Touch

Hi All, I am a masters Psychology student studying Autism. I have experience working particularly with adults in ASD and hope to be able to look futher into the sensory problems associated with autism. Hopefully this will be useful for future intervention development. If anyone would like to get involved please feel free to contact me at: e.england1@newcastle.ac.uk Or if you would like to take part in a open questionnaire study: http://nclpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eVPToGcGzLFcVs9 Thank you!
  5. https://www.bvsc.org/events-and-training/watchfreebet-awards-2019-live-stream-red-carpet-online-tv-coverage https://www.bvsc.org/events-and-training/watchfreebet-awards-2019-live-stream-red-carpet-online-tv-coverage https://www.bvsc.org/events-and-training/watchfreebet-awards-2019-live-stream-red-carpet-online-tv-coverage
  6. https://www.bvsc.org/events-and-training/watch-bet-awards-2019-live-stream-free-red-carpet-online-tv-coverage https://www.bvsc.org/events-and-training/watch-bet-awards-2019-live-stream-free-red-carpet-online-tv-coverage https://www.bvsc.org/events-and-training/watch-bet-awards-2019-live-stream-free-red-carpet-online-tv-coverage
  7. (Not written by me) Woofstock UK: The Devon Dog Festival With A Heart There’s no denying that the award-winning Woofstock UK is one of the most dog and family friendly festivals around. Voted ‘Best Day Out’ two years running by Dog Friendly Awards, it’s clear to see the passion and energy founder organisers and dynamic duo Heather and Carol Nesbitt-Bayley put into creating a fun-filled time for all. But what was the driving force behind this barking-mad couple creating the first Woofstock UK five years ago? What craziness made them wake one day and just say, “I know, let’s do a festival for dogs”? It all started with one life changing day back in 2012 when Heather suddenly fell seriously ill. She said: “I dragged myself out of bed one morning, feeling heavy and lethargic. Harry and Maggie, two of our dogs, didn’t bounce in for their usual morning greeting, instead they both stood stock-still and stared at me. My face and neck were covered in unexplained dark purple bruises, and although I tried to take the dogs for a walk, they wouldn’t allow me to leave the house and kept blocking me at every turn. “I was rushed to A&E where a doctor took blood tests, a brain scan and chest X-ray. The diagnosis was my immune system was killing itself and it was seeing my blood and platelets as foreign – basically I was dying. “It was a close-call as to whether I was going to make it through the night. “During my long stay at the hospital, the ‘Pets as Therapy dog’ came to visit which really lifted my spirits. When I was finally released from hospital I thought how amazing dogs actually are, and how our two dogs were fantastic by working out there was something seriously wrong! I spoke to Carol and said I’ve got a crazy idea – I want us to celebrate dogs and all animals, and to leave some kind of legacy – and the rest is history. “I’m still unwell and under the hospital’s neurology care. Carol and I want to carry on raising awareness and much needed money for both local and international animal charities for as long as we are able. That is how Woofstock UK was started as an annual one-day event in the middle of a field for horses which has grown year on year. We are so excited and delighted that we are celebrating our fifth anniversary with a crazy weekend festival in August!” The multi award-winning festival attracts thousands of visitors worldwide and this year is relocating to a 13-acre site based near Dartmouth with headline sponsor Bella and Duke. Held from Friday 16th – Sunday 18th August, it promises to be bigger and better than ever before and pawsome fun for happy hounds, dog-lovers and all the family. Traditionally a one-day event, it has proved so popular that it’s celebrating its fifth year with a weekend extravaganza, including camping, glamping and live entertainment. The only one of its kind in the UK, Woofstock prides itself on being ‘a festival by dogs for dogs’, attracting visitors year on year with its unique dog-orientated aspects. On arrival at the gate canny canines will collect bespoke 100% natural dog biscuit tickets specially made in the Netherlands by independent Ammy’s Delights. The Dutch company has been a great supporter, providing tickets and dog-show award hampers since Woofstock UK first began. Visitors will also be given a list of rules addressed to their furry friends, ‘pawed’ by Woofstock’s mascot, Spaniel Harry, to ensure everyone can relax and enjoy the event and all that it has to offer. Day-time activities include police dog displays, fun dog-shows and for a small fee ‘hot-dogs’ can cool off and have a splashing time in the special pooch pool supplied by the Soggy Dog Company who will be travelling down from Bedfordshire. With lots of things to see and do, including a diverse mix of trade stands; a shopping village and plethora of local artisan gastro delights and drink suppliers; it promises to be a fun time for all the family, with plenty of entertainment, including live music on the main stage and food and fayre for dogs, kids and grown-ups too! Heather concludes: “It’s a chance for like-minded people to come and have a really good time and it is all so chilled like puppy love. You don’t have to have a dog to come to Woofstock, just rock up and have a really good time. I promise you won’t get to the end of the weekend without having made new friends, whether that’s of the furry four-legged kind or of the human kind.” For more information and to book your Woofstock UK tickets, click here. Source: Grow Exeter
  8. (Not written by me) Fortnite creators say Prince Harry was wrong to say video game phenomenon was "created to addict" By Tom Hoggins Epic Games, the creator of video game phenomenon Fortnite have suggested that Prince Harry was wrong to label the game as "addictive" and said it "shouldn’t be allowed". “We were quite taken aback and really rather surprised because the statements that were made, in our view, couldn't be further from the truth from our intentions and design philosophy,” Epic’s senior counsel Canon Pence told the House of Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (DCMS). “It's really always been our effort and intent to create a fun, fair, flexible, engaging and generous form of interactive entertainment for our audience. "So I feel like a statement that suggests that there was some sort of nefarious attempt to extract short-term profit is a real mischaracterisation." When asked by committee chairman Damian Collins if the firm felt that Prince Harry had "got it wrong", Pence replied: “I do.” Prince Harry had made the comments about Fortnite, which has over 250m registered players and made $2.4bn in revenue in 2018, during a visit to the YMCA in South Ealing. "That game shouldn't be allowed,” he said. “Where is the benefit of having it in your household?” "It's created to addict, an addiction to keep you in front of a computer for as long as possible. It's so irresponsible. It's like waiting for the damage to be done and kids turning up on your doorsteps and families being broken down." He added that social media was "more addictive than alcohol and drugs". Epic was giving evidence to the DCMS alongside fellow US game company Electronic Arts about a variety of topics on the gaming industry for the government’s white paper on a duty of care for technology companies. The almost three hour long, often fraught session covered topics such as game addiction, age verification and loot boxes. Both companies cast doubt over the World Health Organisations’ recent classification of "gaming disorder" relating to the overuse of games, with Pence saying: “We do participate in industry organisations which have taken issue with the manner and process of which that has gone through, there is plenty of debate over whether that process was proper.” “I think the use of the term addiction unfortunately masks the passion that our players have and the joy they get from playing our games, I think the term is a mischaracterisation.” Pence said that the upcoming white paper was “an important paper” but there was “more work to be done on it”. “It’s important for us to protect our players and we think it’s an important start,” he said. Source: Telegraph
  9. What's in your Lunchbox?

Today I had a quinoa salad with sliced peppers, baby corn cobs, carrots and finely chopped red onions. I got the recipe from the side of a packet of quinoa, where it was called "Taboule [sic] of the Incas".
  10. Earlier
  11. 'Nature' being prescribed by GPs in Shetland

A community woodland in my town runs a weekly Ecotherapy session. Also see this post in another thread: 'Nature became a support system': How autism helped me campaign for wildlife
  12. "Cat café" offers free sessions for autistics

One's now open in Stratford-upon-Avon, which makes it the nearest to me as the crow flies. Too bad the frequency of rail and bus links from Leamington Spa leave something to be desired... Shakespaws Cat Café
  13. Hi everyone, My name is Hatice and I am a master's student in University of Leeds. Currently, I am conducting research for my dissertation. I am looking for participants to interview in order to identify parents' perspectives on gaining the diagnosis of autism for their daughters. I am looking parents of a girl who has been diagnosed with autism. It would be of tremendous help if you could participate in this project.
  14. (Not written by me) High school boy with autism lands Miss Utah hopeful as his homecoming date after classmates play a cruel prank Michael, a junior at Taylorsville High, took Miss Greater Salt Lake to homecoming The teenager, who has autism, received a heartbreaking fake invite to the dance One of his teachers got in touch with the local beauty queen and asked for help Dexonna Talbot, a Miss Utah hopeful, said she cried when she heard of the prank Talbot walked into Michael's class and asked him to go with her instead A beauty queen has helped a bullied high school student get the last laugh on his peers. Michael Conrad, a junior at Taylorsville High School who has autism and ADHD, received a fake invitation to homecoming that left him upset and his mother 'sick to her stomach'. The culprits, who are yet to be identified, egged his home and left a note saying: 'I'm sorry for the mess. But how about I make it up to you by taking you to Homecoming?' Fox News reported. The note was attributed to a friend of Michael's, but when he confronted her about it, she denied all knowledge and told him she already had a date. Michael's uncle said on Twitter the teenager had: 'tried to hide the hurt when this happened but it was obvious that he was upset inside'. Hearing about the cruel prank, debating teacher Jenn Palomino said she was heartbroken, and determined to help right the wrong. She contacted Miss Greater Salt Lake, Dexonna Talbot, and asked if she might be able to help salvage her student's homecoming experience. Talbot, who will compete for Miss Utah in the next few months, said she felt called to act the second she heard about the fake invitation. 'The second I heard about this, I knew I wanted to do something,' she said. 'I automatically broke down into tears, because just thinking about the fact that someone would go out of their way to make someone else feel bad is so heartbreaking to me.' Holding a sign covered in Starburst - Michael's favourite candy, Talbot was filmed entering his high school classroom last week to ask him to homecoming - for real this time. Standing up, he can be heard responding with an enthusiastic: 'Sure!' As the pair chat, Michael's classmates can be heard applauding the unlikely match. On Saturday, Talbot shared photographs of the pair ahead of the big dance. 'Had the time of my life with the coolest, funniest, kindest and most amazing guy at homecoming tonight,' she wrote. 'Michael you are one of a kind. I am so humbled by this experience. Bullying sucks and kindness ALWAYS wins.' Speaking to friends on Facebook, Michael's mother Jennifer said she still doesn't know who played the cruel prank on her son, but the family have chosen to focus on the positives. 'We don't know who did it, but to us it doesn't matter,' she said. 'Through this experience our sweet boy was able to have the time of his life.' 'I just hope [the bullies] realize that you should [not] tear someone down to try and make yourself look cool.' Source: Daily Mail
  15. What's in your Lunchbox?

Gee, it's a little quiet on here! Would have loved to get some divergent thoughts, but anyway, I looked it up myself and it's nothing major as I envisioned. Look, I know the year has just reached halfway(!), but I really am determined to get it right this time. Over the years I've been guilty of hitting the first-food joints more than I should, so it feels like a breath of fresh air trying something new - only that this time it also comes with wellness benefits attached, which is a big deal for me. The hummus wrap sounds a great option for Meatless Mondays and the broccoli chicken salad from Livestrong makes for an easy prep that's also great for gym days. The Sesame Vermicelli and Pork Salad Lunch Box looks a complete dish, yet simple to make, so I guess this will be finding its way in my lunchbox soon, along with the chicken caesar salad with extra bread that I found on Cosmo that's easier to make than the name might imply. These should make do for starters, but I'm still much open to some more fresh ideas!
  16. But just how "prolific" are the contributors to this issue? There's no information given about their other publications.
  17. Gaming meltdown

First and foremost we feel others emotions too intensely to cope, that doesn't mean we lack empathy. I've watched TV programs to help me learn empathy and discussed it with people who can explain in 'black and white' ways 'the other side of the coin'. He might feel like the only thing he's good at is the game. He could know the game very well and be able to tell if there's an internet problem or people cheating. We are rule orientated so if someone does something out the ordinary it can look like cheating. I've been a game quizzer for over 4 years with 2 friends. At first I was stroppy with some of my friends, them giving me time to reflect and my home situation improving meant I was less likely to be stroppy with them. I used to get really wound up when we didn't get any prizes. Then my teammates reminded me of other ways we could consider success, eg our score each time going up, the questions not being the ones we we're experienced in etc. Would giving him specific praise help? Have a motto 'no problem too big, no achievement to small' in th household and strive to resolve it no matter what. Remind him of it when he brings up failure. Perfectionism is a difficult trait to resolve in us autistics.
  18. What to do??

It could be both AS and being 'a piece of work', it could be a trauma reaction, it could be learnt behaviour from his mother or someone else. I have a trauma history and I have chronic pain. My joints dislocate on a regular basis, communicating this issue to people is rarely done with an 'ouch' as I was conditioned out of saying 'ouch', also conditioned out of crying, only risperdal (meltable tablets as liquid and hard tablets I reacted to) which helps with the auditory flashbacks. No matter what I did as a kid I could never please my parents, literal thinking got a smack, hitting an entertainer once got a beating which has left me with claustrophobia and anxiety over louder voices, disagreeing with anything got a smack. That could have been your stepsons situation before coming to you, that's neither of your faults or your husband's for that matter. Challenging behaviour foundation might also be able to advise. https://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk/
  19. PAN Card Not Received

What is a pan card?
  20. Autistic and Bipolar Comorbidity

I asked a friend of mine who carers for a relative who has bipolar. The conclusions we both reached are that if you have one disability affecting the brain eg autism then you are more likely to develop another disability affecting the brain eg bipolar. Me personally, have autism, dyslexia, depression, anxiety, insomnia, cptsd and traits of other disabilities affecting the brain. Also you can have both bipolar and borderline personality disorder, but distinguishing between rapid cycling bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder is very hard even from the most experienced diagnosticians.
  21. See if you can find a copy of their wellbeing or mental health policy on the schools website, quote sections from this in the complaint letter. You can look up your local MP on the website www.theyworkforyou.com where you can see how your MP voted on a variety of issues including special educational ones. Also are they on this list (weblink below); https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/campaign/appga/members.aspx See if there is any parental support in your area by typing in "autism near (name of your county)" into an internet search. Pre Cahms stopped helping us when I had one session where I couldn't engage with them. That was back in the late 90s. I'd just been diagnosed myself then. www.mind.org.uk is a mental health charity, covers mental health and can put you in touch with local resources as well. They operate a legal line as well. Just found the below weblink as well. https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/discrimination-in-education/
  22. Teenager out of control and violent

A lot of 'behaviour that challenges' is due to hidden pain. 98% according to John Clements author of 'people with autism behaving badly, moving on from emotional and behavioural challenges'. But asking us "are you in pain?" When we cannot comprehend what pain is or means (even us highly verbal people cannot comprehend) is gonna be tricky. It's a bit like being a detective; what triggers off the 'problem' behaviour; what can be done instead. Have a timetable for when your kids help with chores and when they have downtime, autistics need a lot more downtime than neurotypicals. Yeah I get it we're a lot harder work than neurotypicals, I had running away behaviour as a teenager, school stuff, others emotions etc was all too much to cope with. I still need a flow diagram to get all my shower stuff in the right order, or my home help to "verbally prompt me at every stage", plus dealing with the sensory issues, any distractions from the umpteen comments I may have heard online etc. Think of asking one of us to do the dishes and the number of steps it takes to do the dishes. Then once you've worked out or remembered those steps, you realise the washing up liquid has run out.... After the shops have all shut. Gaming is a way of hiding from the unpredictable world. The more predictable life at home can be the easier it is for us to prevent meltdowns, shutdowns and brain overload. The challenging behaviour foundation could have some other ideas; https://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk/ Although it's aimed at those with severe learning disabilities, the principles can be applied to any form of challenging behaviour. Ps, I have been both the 'getting in your face' and on the end of someone 'getting in my face' sides of the fence. I've people close to me, that deny they're autistic so take it out on me. I've now got better resources to help me be less in one's face and normally intervene to help the situation no longer escalate, living on my own and having home help I've found a way to interact with helps, as does controlling physical pain, recognising when hungry or tired can also help.
  23. PIP appeal

It all depends on which assessor you get on the day to be honest. Evidence from as many different sources regarding how your son's affected. If he has coordination difficulties emphasise those as well. Hope he gets his PIP on appeal.
  24. To add to the above, evidence of ethical approval (or reasons why this isn't relevant to your research) has to be private messaged to a moderator/admin and approved before posting, no exceptions.
  25. prolific adjective uk /prəˈlɪf.ɪk/ us /prəˈlɪf.ɪk/ producing a great number or amount of something: He was probably the most prolific songwriter of his generation. Rabbits and other rodents are prolific (= have a lot of babies).
  26. What's in your Lunchbox?

Hiya! Forget the kids, what are some healthy options you're including in your lunchbox? I'm on the hunt for some simple ideas to shake up my routine. The hot egg sandwiches are not flying with me anymore and baked chicken fingers are becoming blah. The salad-stuffed avocado is a personal favourite but don't really carry it nowadays because it browns by the time lunch hour rolls around. Need some fresh ideas, ideally healthy and doesn't take hours to prepare. Thanks!
  27. Define "prolific".
  28. A recent news story titled "How women with autism found shelter amid the trees": https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17601562.how-women-with-autism-found-shelter-amid-the-trees/
  1. Load more activity