smileyK

perfection pressure on myself! :(

Even when try to rise above my anxiety issues -feels like in me never good enough have go try be one better than I take my endless cycle of frustration onto my mum mostly because I'm scared and afraid but when I explain in detail they don't get why anxiety gets me so hooked up so much/bad (social anxiety -social situations and independence) it becomes overwhelmingly emotional /sensitive subject topic normally ends in my tears being shed! ;( crushes me! I'm my own worst enemy! My own 'bully' can't escape tripping myself and giving myself a hard time however much effort I put in never right - is it perfection pressure existing?! XKLX

Hi SmileyK

Yes, anxiety can certainly take over our mind and choke our free thinking. Negative thoughts and beliefs become imprisoned as the mind profiterates. Something I've been trying to do for years is to "let go", i.e. to "free the mind" of obsessive, negative thoughts. Does anyone have the answer?

There's little value in me telling you to not be hard on yourself, etc., Smiley, really it only comes with experience and maturity. Maybe you just need to be more patient, know that things will change but that it does take time.

~ Mel ~

The answer, as I'm finding out, is to learn to become your own coach - support yourself, not bully yourself. I used to be very self-critical, self-loathing - I hated the way I was, the person I was. The first stage is to be aware of the negative thoughts you have about yourself, and try and let them go - don't accept them, and don't accept being bullied by yourself. Learn to see your failings and weaknesses as something to work on, not something to punish.

I work with adults with AS. I`ve found that "perfectionism" is a really common issue for people- mostly females in my experience. I`ve met really effective hard working individuals whose contributions are highly valued at work yet whose need to get things absolutely right is torturing them and can lead to illness and breakdown. A loss to their workplaces but mostly to their own feelings of self worth. What helps? or might help? Hard to say other than maybe a person to go over with them and clarify what the problems are and whose problems they actually are. Very often its due to circumstances/situations outwith the control of the individuals concerned eg staff shortages or sudden changes at work. Sadly workplace bullying or perceived bullying can play a significant part. I wish smileyK all the best and hope that things improve