matzoball

Moderating Styles

Hi there,

I've not moderated on this site for a very long time due to my job - however I was asked to come back as there was some issues that other mods needed support over.

As a result of discussions with a forum member, I've been told that a poll has been held with all of you and that 90% feel it's a case of playing favourites and that I'm blocking the things that matter. I am a bit confused about a poll being held about me since I have only been back a few days. I've not moderated that much.

When a forum members posts become pre-moderated, it's because complaints have been made by other forum members because they are distressed. Even the decision to pre-moderate a forum member goes through a review process by the admins, who are the only people who can change a members status. Moderators can't physically do that.

Even when a member is changed to pre-moderated status, unless they are saying something really offensive or outrageous - it's not edited. It just is a buffer in which a post gets reviewed, then allowed. And that's only for a certain amount of time.

Nearly all of the active members on the site are not pre-moderated - and if a post is edited - the op can actually see who edited it and why.

This thread is an opportunity for you all to give me feedback, and the forum admins feedback - if we're getting it wrong, you need to tell us so we can be better.

What poll is this? I never saw a poll...

The moderator system on here is nowhere near as corrupt as I've seen on other websites. You should see the system on Wrong Planet - if a popular member is being a berk and is reported to moderators, nothing will be done about it. The site owner actively encourages full-blown arguments between members and 'wars of the sexes' because he finds them amusing to read. So yeah, to all the members who have complained about moderation here: It could be far, far worse

I would normally just copy and paste the part of the email that was sent to me, but that's not fair on the person who emailed me - but I had the same reaction as yourself as I've not seen any poll!

Sometimes I think mods on here can at worst be seen as a bit emotionally reactive, but at the end of the day - we don't mod unless we get asked as you guys are a pretty nice bunch :)

I've looked around the forum and there actually isn't a poll anywhere! I find it quite irritating that someone claimed 90% of members feel the mods are playing favourites when the poll doesn't actually seem to be available to the majority of members. How many people actually voted in the poll? 10?

"I've just tonight received input re: moderator monitoring and the general opinion is more than 90% vote lack of confidence in your abilities to do so (be it timely/ cognitive responses) or just a general making of sense. and 90% say, you block the things that matter, and pass the things that "people you like" say."

I thought it best just to show what I've been sent - it speaks for itself really.

The fact that no one on here has any clue about a poll indicates to me that there actually hasn't been one. If there has - it's not been on this site!

Regardless - if there is anything we can do better as moderators - it's a good opportunity for you guys to tell us about it :)

Edited by matzoball

Hello, is the "Storm in a teacup" between me and ? causing this??

"matzoball" I like your new image, your old one tended to give me a headache.

Moderators need to do the almost impossible, and that is be moderators not partisan users.

Who is accusing you? And why?

Oh no not at all Waterboatman - other unrelated forum stuff.

Yeah Stitch was getting on my nerves too - Puppycat is a lot better :)

At this point it's not productive to name names, but I wanted to use the opportunity to guage how you guys are feeling about the general vibe in the forum, and how the mods can be more supportive of you all.

Odd timing. Perhaps what happened was a symptom not a cause.

Network sites cost money, patience must run pretty thin at times.

As there are so few active members at any one time, and no income being generated, the logic of keeping this site running must be questionable at times. Is this the real cause?

I know nothing of any poll - very mysterious... and I have no complaints at all. I know that at times a moderator's job isn't easy - having been one in the past on a few forums. I find this forum pretty well-behaved compared with others I've known.

I've nothing more to say on this really, except that Pianokitten has taken a fancy to Puppycat. :wub::lol:

I've not heard of anything either. Although I am a moderator, I don't have good computer skills, so I tend to give advice on the education forum [my area of interest], and seek other moderators help on other issues. Although I am also a moderator, we are not any kind of clique. I'm not in constant touch with other mods etc. I find the mods on this forum are very good and go to great length to explain anything they do. But it is still nice to see you again.....

I've never seen nor voted on such a poll and I'm on here regularly. The mods do a good job and have done for many years, no complaints here. If others are unhappy, maybe they need to think more about what they are posting or post elsewhere. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl