JenRose

Saw Autism school children in ASDA

We were in ASDA yesterday and our nearest ASD school bus was parked outside.

Standing outside the van were 4/5 children all jumping up and down excitedly, i was stood watching them with a tear in my eye as they were from the school that we are hoping M will go to one day.

I pointed them out to M and he stood watching them too.

I had to phone the school this morning and confirm a visit that we are taking M on and i asked the lady about the trip and she said, oh yes we take a small group of children out into the community to get them used to everyday situations like shopping etc.

I told her that it looked wonderful and the children all looked happy.

I so hope that we can get M into the school.

>:D<The autistic school near me does the same , every friday morning at 10.30 the bus arrives.I,ve made it a habit to be in the store at the same time as I love to see them.I know its odd of me but I like to observe how they are and look for similarities in my son.They also take their adults too which is great as I,ve chatted to them a few times and they are great :D .The staff are fantastic and all the ladies/gents etc on the tills chat and comment how brill they all are. I think I know the school you mention , is it run by the boys/girls welfare society?

My son attends an ASD specific school and they often take the kids on shopping trips etc. to local supermarkets to try and teach them life skills.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hope your visit to school goes well

This sounds exactly how support for ASDs should be - equipping them to deal with the NT world and having a lot of fun in the mean time

You keep pushing Jen and make sure that M gets his place

aww sounds like a good, caring school. hope all goes well for you x

It sounds like a great school and I'm glad that you were able to see them out in the community when they're clearly not putting on a show for you. Gives a much better idea of the school and the staff than a prepared visit. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well at tribunal and that eventually M gets his place there.

i really hope m gets in to the school,also best thing i ever done fighting for stevens special school hes in now,it is a very special school,staff are lovely

Sweet how lovely!

My son had his first school trip yesterday - to a local bookshop in town. I was thinking of parking outside wearing a disguise just to see how he was doing - I was worried about it all day. No need though.

He came home from school with a spring in his step, clutching two new books and telling me all about who he sat next to on the minibus.

We are all hoping your child can get into that school too!