Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

school trying to drop iep-help anyone with ideas to write down

hi anyone can help me with this

my son has no statement but is on school action plus was receiving speech therapy last term ....im still trying to find out if he will receive it this year

to cut long storey short senco having meeting tomorrow and trying to say they going drop iep...and have him on something called waves 2 like others in the class.....im really angry about this and worried im going handle it all wrong

for start of his new teacher has only seen him for a few weeks

ive had report from hospital but still no as dx

but admit to some things are similar with autistic problems

sensory and processing problems

basic do i have any say in this at all. i feel they are treating my son unfair.

It seems to me that they are being very unfair to your son. Having gone through similar experiences with my DS, what helped a bit was to take notes to the meetings, and tell them all the reasons why support should not be withdrawn, with examples of how your son is or could be affected. Don't think (in case you do) that you just have to go and listen to what they have to tell you. Take the initiave and say that you are very concerned about this change and then say the reasons why. The school might try to present you the alternative as a better form of support, and if you agree to it you can ask to have it in writing. Ask someone who knows your son and can speak up for you to go with you to the meeting.

Hope this helps a bit, sorry I have no better ideas.

Good luck tomorrow! >:D<<'>

Curra

Clarify if he is going to be dropped from SA+ to SA or less, or if they are just not going to give him an IEP. I am in similar position re: my son - I need to find out how they will monitor his progress without an IEP.

Find out what waves 2 is (I think it is catch up literacy and/or numeracy) - is this going to help him? Does he have other needs too?

Karen

I tried to search Waves 2 but cannot find out anything about it.

I think what has been said is right though, do not be affraid to make your feelings/worries clear and ask questions about how your sons needs will be recognised and met as well as how they will be monitored with out an IEP

Is this some new government no brain wave, getting rid of IEPs? we seem to be hearing about it more and more.

I have my middle ds SEN review in November (although I am thinking I cannot wait till then as I am still worried about him) he has been on SA+ all the way through from nursery to Year 5 where he is now.

I do not like the idea of them stopping IEPs as I have found it hard enough to get any truth/honesty from the school about my childrens progress even with ieps.

I do not THINK my LEA is trying to stop them yet (As in my eldest proposed statement t talks about things that also need putting in the IEP but you never know)

Hope the meeting goes well today xx

I tried to search Waves 2 but cannot find out anything about it.

I think what has been said is right though, do not be affraid to make your feelings/worries clear and ask questions about how your sons needs will be recognised and met as well as how they will be monitored with out an IEP

Is this some new government no brain wave, getting rid of IEPs? we seem to be hearing about it more and more.

I have my middle ds SEN review in November (although I am thinking I cannot wait till then as I am still worried about him) he has been on SA+ all the way through from nursery to Year 5 where he is now.

I do not like the idea of them stopping IEPs as I have found it hard enough to get any truth/honesty from the school about my childrens progress even with ieps.

I do not THINK my LEA is trying to stop them yet (As in my eldest proposed statement t talks about things that also need putting in the IEP but you never know)

Hope the meeting goes well today xx

thanks for the reply ...im just on my way now to the meeting......i agree with you i have struggled along all this way and now they going try taking that away from him........its bad enough like you said trying to find out how your child is progressing........think all this is just another goverment money cutting back sheme .....well here it goes im all fired up ...hope i dont get into a big argument.......... :wacko:

well ive been

and its the usual well hes doing well at school in fact hes in 2nd group from the top......................so they cant see a need now for iep....................i did argue my case...............at one point told her she was patronising me.................

it all depends now on the speech therapist who he sees at end of month..................if he will still receive input from her he will still get iep....................

but shes 12 to teach and shes got to prirotise ...........so some will just end up in class having a little bit from the teacher....................i bet my son ends up in this...............

hes a year behind with lang and compreshision..............id rung her up to ,,,,,wont know till end of month when she tests my son again........... :crying:

quite sick of the lot really

i am pleased my son is doing well though,im on a course about trying to manage his behaviour at home..............

they wont dx him...........although he just scored on the last ados test just on the spectrum..............

:rolleyes:

wot is a ados test how do they score, if you dont mind

my dd school are taking her iep away in october she in her 2nd year, not sure if its to do with money and saving as they dont want external proffessionals involved she has been dropped by salt. she recieves no different teaching just gets sent to senco when they feel like it doing puzzles or writing.

i want her investigated for asd, the only professional involved is her o.t who suspects sensory intergration disorder and the school will try to get rid of her soon, they dont know this yet and the ot is planning on going into her school, i cottoned on to what there doing now ? and will be prepared.