jools

feeling a bit fed up

hubbie went into school on tuesday to see the head and class teacher.

apparantly G is absolutely fine, needs no support and is where the teacher would expect him to be.

i'm not happy to say the least and feel that this new teacher, who has only had him 3 weeks, will undermine everything i've been fighting for. i don't know how she can say this.

he hasn't progressed at all in literacy since yr 2 (hes just entered yr 5).

when he was seen by the EP last term she said he had a maths age of age 13 (at the time he was 8).

so why isn't he a whizz kid at maths in school? why isn't he in the top group? i know why! because his processing speed is poor and he has problems understanding the lesson and keeping up..........but he would manage with support!

education is about each child reaching their FULL potential which G is not.

i'm in the process of writing my parental views.....its looking more like a novel each day!

its like banging my head against a brick wall and i'm feeling very flat today.

i must snap out of it

sorry for the moan :(

hi jools sorry your feeling this way we are both in the same boat my twins have not progressed at all in english either since yr2 ive been fighting with their school since yr1 the senco teacher would not even give them an iep last year which in turn meant they could not even see the ep,so armed with their school reports from yr2 and yr4 i have been to see both their teachers dd1's teacher has agreed he is way behind but will have me in every half term for a discussion about him but ive told her this is only going on for 6months then i want him on an iep also dd2s teacher told me he should be at level 3 also every half term meeting told her the same,i feel like you what is it with schools are they frightened to have special needs children in their schools its not as if the extra money comes out of their budget its a seperate one,what i have done is got in touch with a special needs involving parents charity who advise me on what to do this has helped me a lot its someone to talk to hopefully you have one in or near your area where you live they can actually go into school with you to help discuss your childs education needs if you feel the school is not doing enough to help you keep your chin up i know its hard have been there lots of times but we carry on fighting for our kids its what we have to do cause we love them keep smilin luv karin :D:D:D:D:D:D

Jools >:D<<'> >:D<<'> lots of these from me. I have like you had enough with battling some teachers. My ds is in yr.8 and all support has been withdrawn as 'he is very able you know' :angry: My dd is in yr 5 and statemented, therefore you would think that she would be getting the necessary input for literacy and numeracy. She was so behind with reading (about 4 years) that I had to track down a private tutor. So even though schools sometimes put in the support it has got to be the right support from people who are experienced in literacy and numeracy problems. The E.P. once told me that there was nothing extra the school could do about dd's reading problems, they were doing everything possible, which has turned out to be a complete load of $%*^%$. I hope you feel o.k. again soon.

Feeling totally flat too, Jools, so you're in good company!!

I've just received the school application form for DD3 (he's 4) and I'm really questioning whether he should go to a different school that's more switched on towards SEN. He hasn't got a dx yet, although it's looking very likely that he has ADHD.

The thought of yet MORE years of 'doing SEN' with his brothers' school leaves me cold, although it'd be a logistical nightmare for the family. There is a school nearby that's more switched on, but I don't want to uproot the others cos moving them would be too much for them.

By the way, DS2 has a Statement but DS1 has been turned down for Statutory Assessment, due largely to the school's report which says he's doing absolutely find. It's so frustrating to have those talks with the Head etc, when you say your stuff, they seem to listen and take it all in, there's a decent exchange of info, and then nothing changes at all. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Meanwhile, DS1 is so stressed and anxious that when things go wrong he says he wants to kill himself.

Lizzie

Jools please don't give up pushing for more help.We were in a similar situation with Ben.He was not so far behind his peers because he is so bright.We were able to get a statement.We argued that he should be able to reach his potential.Karen

flat head has gone and fighting head is back :P

karen, its good to hear that you got a statement on the basis ben wasn't wasn't reaching his full potential. hope we can get one too :pray:

hubbie went into school on tuesday to see the head and class teacher.

apparantly G is absolutely fine, needs no support and is where the teacher would expect him to be.

i'm not happy to say the least and feel that this new teacher, who has only had him 3 weeks, will undermine everything i've been fighting for. i don't know how she can say this.

he hasn't progressed at all in literacy since yr 2 (hes just entered yr 5).

when he was seen by the EP last term she said he had a maths age of age 13 (at the time he was 8).

so why isn't he a whizz kid at maths in school? why isn't he in the top group? i know why! because his processing speed is poor and he has problems understanding the lesson and keeping up..........but he would manage with support!

education is about each child reaching their FULL potential which G is not.

i'm in the process of writing my parental views.....its looking more like a novel each day!

its like banging my head against a brick wall and i'm feeling very flat today.

i must snap out of it

sorry for the moan :(

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja: