Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

New high school looks good

Last night we visited Martin's high school which he will be transferring to in 2007. My older boys both go there but this is the first time I will be dealing with the school's SENCO. We met him last night and he was lovely. He told Martin that whenever things were getting too much for him he could just come into his room (which is opposite the staff room) any time he fancied or go to the library. There was no obligation for him to play out during breaktimes and that support would be given in class should it be required.

Children with AS (there are currently 5 in the school which has well over 1,000 pupils) are highlighted on the register and every teacher has been trained in AS awareness so each knows about the AS children in their group from Day 1 and instances of bullying and aggression from other children are dealt with immediately.

My only concern is that I don't know whether this SENCO has come across aggressive AS kids like Martin. The one's he was talking about all seemed very mild mannered and tended to walk away from fights, although this could be due to maturity rather than anything else. The SENCO said that if Martin was aggressive he would probably have to face the consequences but obviously his AS would be taken into consideration.

:D Martin is so looking forward to going up to high school now especially to do the maths, science, history and music which are all his strong points. His twin is too, although she'll be at the girl's school and we have that open night next week.

Very pleased for you that things look positive, We took Lucy to our local secondary but she couldn't cope with the size, light etc. We are thinking of using her DLA to send her to a private school which is much smaller. I'm so fed up with the LEAs attitude.