Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Aspergers and Bullying

Adam has kindly given me permission to post this here. I thought it was quite timely given a recent discussion here.

Oracle

Did anyone catch the recent news story about a couple in Hampden Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, who allege in a federal lawsuit against their local School District that their son, who has Asperger's syndrome, was repeatedly bullied and harassed by students and teachers from 1998 to earlier this year? The lawsuit describes the 14-year-old boy, who can't be named because he is a minor, as "a strikingly handsome young man, talented with a brilliant mind, particularly in the area of maths." The suit says that fellow students taunted and humiliated him, ransacked his backpack, took his school supplies, stole his lunch box, covered the back of his head with spit and filled the hood of his jacket with spit balls and paper and, because some of his peers threatened to break into his house at night and steal things from his room, he slept with the lights on for a year. To escape the abuse, he hid under his desk in the classroom and spent an "inordinate amount of time in the bathroom," the suit states. The parents claim that his teachers were unfamiliar with Asperger's, punished him for behaviour associated with the disorder and sometimes physically restrained him. An aide restrained him once to remove from his pocket a caterpillar that he claimed was his "only friend," according to the lawsuit.

Does all this sound familiar to anyone out there?

Best wishes,

Adam Feinstein

Oracle

My son was not physically bullied at school but was constantly called 'Spas' by members of his class.

He was not bullied by his teachers but WAS, I believe, discriminated against because of his disabilities. They did not want him to go on school trips, they gave him detentions for problems associated with his AS, they nearly always managed to give him a detention when they had a visiting speaker. The sad thing is they actually thought they were doing a good job.

We have been home educating for over a year now as his school placement broke down completely.

Barefoot

Edited by barefoot wend

Once in middle school I got hauled off to the headmaster's office to get told of for not acting normal, and that was why I got kicked by an older boy (a one-off incident actually). While I was gone, my teacher asked the class to put their hands up if they thought I was weird . . . just in case someone hadn't noticed I suppose :rolleyes:

My friends told my parents that I was mercilessly bullied in secondary school, although I never noticed this myself. I noticed that I did not have many friends, but I always realised that this was self-imposed, and the way I was happy.

That's awful Tally >:D<<'>

I hope the boys parents win the case - if they did that to H i'd be arrested for murder :fight:

I was verbally bullied through comprehensive school - because i was shy, quiet and soft as muck and it does affect you throughout adulthood.

Clare

hun xxx

what a sad sad story.

my boy is only 6 and so fair (in mainstream school) the children have been great, they just seem to understand hes a lil diff, the older kids r protective too.

but when we go to the parks and outings, because his obsession is dinosaurs, he act like he is one everywhere we go! and ive found many a group of kids sarrounding him having goes at punching him....and he likes to follow older girls and a few times end up pushing him over!!

it breaks my heart when these things happen because daniel cant read emotions and thongs theyre playing xxx

hun xxx

what a sad sad story.

my boy is only 6 and so fair (in mainstream school) the children have been great, they just seem to understand hes a lil diff, the older kids r protective too.

but when we go to the parks and outings, because his obsession is dinosaurs, he act like he is one everywhere we go! and ive found many a group of kids sarrounding him having goes at punching him....and he likes to follow older girls and a few times end up pushing him over!!

it breaks my heart when these things happen because daniel cant read emotions and thongs theyre playing xxx