Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

Could I request a meeting

My youngest is being bullied at school, and I have been trying to get an appointment to see both his teacher and the head at the same time, but because of my AS son I can only do this during school time. I cannot talk fully to the teacher and explain more complex matters while my AS son is there, and I have no-one who will care for him for even 5 minutes. I cannot leave him alone either, and certainly not with the youngest (due to his violence).

School said no, I can only get a joint appt after school. Unsuitable :crying: I am now seeing his teacher tomorrow, but not the head, I will have to see here seperately...

Is there any regulation or other that can help me force the issue?

I would've thought that if the teacher could see you in school hours (when presumably they have a class to teach) then the Head could see you then too.

I've had meetings with the class teacher and Head together during school hours before.

I don't know of any specific rules/regulations but wanted to wish you good luck.

Chances are that the headteacher is covering the teacher's class commitment to enable him/her to meet with you during school time, otherwise they'd have to pay for supply cover.

I'm a Chair of Govs and I don't know of any regs that could force a meeting between parent, teacher and HT. But I wouldn't expect a reasonable request to be refused.

Hi,

I've had appointments in school with both - sometimes during lunchtime etc when it is more suitable for everyone - I can't see what the problem is.

Hope you get something sorted soon,

Take care,

Jb

Chances are that the headteacher is covering the teacher's class commitment to enable him/her to meet with you during school time, otherwise they'd have to pay for supply cover

Nope it is during lunch time so the teacher is free. Specifically asked to see the head too but for whatever reason she couldn't and there were no other times either. Oh well, I'll see how it goes, my suggestion to the teacher of putting the boys at different tables (which is such an obvious step I can't understand how the teacher could not have thought of it over the last three weeks...) has made a big difference so hopefully the worst is over.

Hi If you have problems in future due to bullying and are unable to speak to HT and teacher together try being difficult and put your problem in writing-copy to the Governors.It is surprising what can be done with a bit of encouragement.

Incidently we had 8 week planning meeting last week-those present included Head teacher,SENCO, Class teacher and TA-in a small primary school-so it can be done if the motivation is there.Regards Karen

I agree with Karen. Put it in writing and copy to both parties and anyone else you think should see it. They won't be able to ignore it and you can always phone the next day to discuss your letter and what they intend to do. Good luck.

~ Mel ~

Incidently we had 8 week planning meeting last week-those present included Head teacher,SENCO, Class teacher and TA-in a small primary school-so it can be done if the motivation is there.Regards Karen

That's the problem, isn't it - if the motivation isn't there, then the teachers etc just can't spare the time. I have this problem. Every time I request a meeting, I get a 30-minute slot and nothing is ever achieved. The head even asked me once whether it was necessary for the SENCO to attend - it wasn't my problem that the SENCO is a part-time classroom assistant (don't even think she's a qualified teacher).

Today DS1's teacher managed a 15-min talk with me after school to discuss his IEP. I managed to stretch that to 30 mins, but that was mainly because I had three children to monitor in her classroom as we talked, interrupting us as we went along. That's three children with SEN, by the way, one of them a four-year-old with ADHD. needless to say it was not a profitable experience and I let rip at the end saying I'm fed up with their inadequate system (or lack of) communicating with parents. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!