Sign in to follow this  
Siadwell

Torchwood

Hello, don't know if anybody else has a problem with this but I'm talking about the Doctor Who spin off - Torchwood. Our DS was well up for it, Captain Jack coming back from the dead to save the planet... thought to ourselves well o.k. another Doctor Who thingy can't do any harm, asked him this morning what times it's on 9.00 pm came the reply, alarm bells started ringing why after the watershed :huh: . looked it up on t'internet only to find it is an adult version of said Doctor Who :o described as "dark, wild and sexy". As our DS is only 12 we had to let him down gradually, saying that all day he wants to kill, punch, hit, stab, zap, break or anything violent to anything or anyone he sets his eyes upon, as for the BBC General Director type geezer, well, I'm not telling what he wants to do to him. But ending up I would just like to say thankyou to the BBC for making such a programme where the original is watched by millions of children nationally. (this is points of view website isn't it)

Edited by Siadwell

We've got a similar problem as my 9 year old is an avid Dr Who fan. I thought we'd sidestepped the problem as we only get terrestrial channels, now I see it's being repeated on BBC 2.

We will probably do the same as Karen - record it first. I agree Siadwell, it does seem rather illogical to make a spinoff with a completely different target audience in mind. :wacko:

I'm not interested cos David Tennant isn't in it! :crying:

K x

Hi I sympathise.We have the same problem.We will probably end up recording it and previewing to see how adult it is.karen

Yep that's what we are doing too :( as if I didn't have enough to :( do

Just checked the info on the programmes ...

1/13-Everything Changes

With sewer creatures, impossible technology and ghastly threats to the planet, you might think this is just a Doctor Who clone. Yes, it's a spin-off, but early evidence suggests Torchwood will live and breathe in its own right. And the gore, swearing and adult content mean that it's on late for a reason. It's an exciting set-up: when a "special ops" team interferes with a murder investigation in Cardiff, plucky PC Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) decides to follow them back to their underground lair (think Hannibal Lecter's prison with computers). These "tomorrow people" turn out to be an Earth defence force led by Captain Jack Harkness (played with toothy, Tom Cruisean charm by John Barrowman), a Time Agent who was briefly a companion of Doctor Who. RT only received a DVD of the first episode (the first two shown are tonight and repeated by BBC2 on Wednesday); it's slick, scary, funny and expensive looking, but it's also very much an establishing story. With the guided tour dispensed with, however, the fun can really begin. Watch this space...so to speak.

2/13-Day One

Torchwood must stop a sex addicted alien as it leaves a trail of gruesome deaths in its wake.

Edited by UltraMum

Hold your horses people. Russell Davis has said that while Torchwood is definitely aimed at the 'older' audience (I seem to remember the phrase 'UK X-Files' being used in an SFX interview), the up coming Sarah Jane Adventures is aimed at the younger audience and Doctor Who itself is still aimed at everyone

I think that the BBC haven't exactly made that distinction very clear and have kind of traded on Torchwood being the 'Doctor Who spin-off' rather than highlighting the fact that it's aimed at a different audience

That said John Barrowman is IMHO a <insert rude word here> so I taped it and might watch it tonight

Have to say I watched the first two episodes on BBC3 last night. They weren't very Dr Whoish and I would be a little concerned at young children watching - quite a bit of material of a sexual nature. So if you don't fancy explaining about girls kissing or fairly graphic sex scenes in a public toilet I'd probably give it a miss.

Can't say I'd particularly be looking out to watch any more.

Barefoot

I watched it last night too and definitely won't be letting my 2 boys watch it. Definitely a bit too...ahem...adult.

What I don't get is why they kept advertising it straight after family programmes. Surely they must have known that children would see the ads and want to watch it too?

Havent watched it yet was planning on watching it on Wednesdays on bbc 2.

I was under the impression that it was recommended as teenage viewing.My son is 12 and i wouldnt have a problem about him watching things with sex scenes in them.Its called the real world and you cant protect forever.He watched Afterlife on Saturday full of sexual scenes and no one in our house batted an eyelid at it.Theres no embarresment whatever comes on the tv but thats how weve brought them up.

I remember only too well my mother constantly switching of the tv if any sniff of anything "dodgey" came on it was daft and only led to embarresment all round.I swore that would never happen in my house.

If youre kids are say over 10 id just let them decide.If there embarresed then theyll ###### of upstaires to bed if theyre not why should we be.I think there lies yer problem Youre embarresed at watching with youre kids not them.

My boys are younger - 6yrs and 3yrs. I don't want to give anything away to those planning to watch it later in the week but it's a little 'stronger' than I expected - and I'm certainly no prude.

Havent watched it yet was planning on watching it on Wednesdays on bbc 2.

I was under the impression that it was recommended as teenage viewing.My son is 12 and i wouldnt have a problem about him watching things with sex scenes in them.Its called the real world and you cant protect forever.He watched Afterlife on Saturday full of sexual scenes and no one in our house batted an eyelid at it.Theres no embarresment whatever comes on the tv but thats how weve brought them up.

I remember only too well my mother constantly switching of the tv if any sniff of anything "dodgey" came on it was daft and only led to embarresment all round.I swore that would never happen in my house.

If youre kids are say over 10 id just let them decide.If there embarresed then theyll ###### of upstaires to bed if theyre not why should we be.I think there lies yer problem Youre embarresed at watching with youre kids not them.

Have you got the postcode for this "real world", I'd like to live there. Our son is 12 and as for ####### off upstairs, well he doesn't go upstairs at any time of the day or night by himself as he is too anxious of the murderers and monsters in the attic that will kill him. There is still a time where you need to protect CHILDREN from such issues as violence and sex, and not for it to be desensitised.

We're over protective.

other countries have little issues with things we take bother with (many 18s over here are 12s in france), and they aren't raised as a country of desensitised vegetables.

Infact there getting along just fine!

Siadwell

Just shows though doesnt it that there you are protecting youre son from watching monsters and murderors portrayed on Tv and yet hes scared to go to bed because of them.

My son watches alsorts nothing is cencored why should it be if hes comfortable with it then why not same for our Nt teenage daughter.Neither are scared of monsters and murderers and i wouldnt say there desentasied.They know whats right and wrong.Are good well rounded kids.

I get sick of the cencorship in this country sick of being told you cant take kids to see this or that because of the classification.

My two are up in arms because SAW 3 is an 18 and there wanting to see the next instalment.Im not saying that SAW is a film for say a 5 year old but i wouldnt have a problem with a 12 year old and 14 year old viewing it

They watched all the others on DVD whilst eating crisps and drinking alcho pops...OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS no doubt someone will say im a bad mum coz i allow under 18s to drink in our own home.Its called kicking back and haveing a good time.Under the supervision of the parents in youre own home.Far better than say hanging round the streets out of the parents view and without most knowing it.My daughter thinks nothing of telling me whoes being "doing" it with who at her school there fore i know she can talk to me about anything and i wont bat an eyelid.

Auriel is correct we try to protect far too much.Its only Tv when all is said and done.

Now wheres the Grand Theft Auto game

Siadwell

Just shows though doesnt it that there you are protecting youre son from watching monsters and murderors portrayed on Tv and yet hes scared to go to bed because of them.

My son watches alsorts nothing is cencored why should it be if hes comfortable with it then why not same for our Nt teenage daughter.Neither are scared of monsters and murderers and i wouldnt say there desentasied.They know whats right and wrong.Are good well rounded kids.

I get sick of the cencorship in this country sick of being told you cant take kids to see this or that because of the classification.

My two are up in arms because SAW 3 is an 18 and there wanting to see the next instalment.Im not saying that SAW is a film for say a 5 year old but i wouldnt have a problem with a 12 year old and 14 year old viewing it

They watched all the others on DVD whilst eating crisps and drinking alcho pops...OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS no doubt someone will say im a bad mum coz i allow under 18s to drink in our own home.Its called kicking back and haveing a good time.Under the supervision of the parents in youre own home.Far better than say hanging round the streets out of the parents view and without most knowing it.My daughter thinks nothing of telling me whoes being "doing" it with who at her school there fore i know she can talk to me about anything and i wont bat an eyelid.

Auriel is correct we try to protect far too much.Its only Tv when all is said and done.

Now wheres the Grand Theft Auto game

Yes but to some children it's not just TV.

Some cannot see the place where real life begins and TV ends.

My children are in this group, most things have to be talked about to establish what is real or made up. Like is it "Live" or "Actors" this can even apply to cartoons.

We watch Dr Who and the like, but our youngest spends most of the time hiding, she is scared of the smallest thing. She wants to watch it at the same time though.

My eldest will go straight ahead and mimic the things he sees, usually the bad guy! To the point of obession at times , he has always been this way.

My middle one will sit and analyse, asking loads of questions.

Yes, I let my teen try alchohol if he asks to, but all my children shy away from that as they've grown up watching how other members of our family suffer due to miss use and addiction, but that is their experience.

I would not even watch SAW or anything of that genre, much less allow any of my children do so.

This does not mean I think anyone a bad parent for doing so, I may frown at the choice but we all raise our children the way we feel is best.

We don't watch programs of a sexual nature or that have too much content of such, we are in no way embarassed to talk about sexual matters as a result. In fact when this subject comes along on TV, if it is more than we view as being appropriate we turn off the program and then it opens the subject for discussion in our house.

All my children are afraid of the dark, and it is not because they are over protected. It is just the way they are ... end of!!

We often talk about what they are afraid of, what they think may be there in the dark, whether it is a real threat or not, to no avail, when they get in a state that's that!!

I don't think that anyone should be told they are being over protective, just becuase they are a little more choosy with what they allow their children to be exposed to via TV or the Internet.

Will being in control of what is viewed break down communications?

I think it depends on how the issue tackled really, are we willing to talk about why we feel the subject is not suitable?

Or do we just switch off .. no discussion? This choice I feel is destructive and will lead to problems.

I don't think I'm over-protective when it comes to television. My boys love watching Dr Who. Their favourite 'baddies' are usually the ones that other children find the most scary. They also love to watch Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis - even though I suspect a lot of children would find the Wraith and the Ori plain terrifying. The latest series of Atlantis doesn't start until 9pm so I record it for them and they are allowed to watch it the following day. No problem.

However, I still stand by my opinion that Torchwood episodes 1 and 2 would have been too much for them. The storyline would also have gone right over their heads and I don't think they would've got much out of it.

I dont think this should turn into a kinda online argument.

Everyone brings up theire children how they feel fit or how they themselves were brought up or in my case i have chosen to bring my children up the compleate opposite to how i was raised.

No one is wrong and all children i agree are different.As are all parents.

Edited by Paula