Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Anyone been to HAMLEYS in London?

Now its a great place for toys but a real nightmare of a place with children with sensory problems, it was packed, hot, noisy and totallly manic, we hovered on floors that had less people and not so warm, but the higher you go the hotter it gets, J had a great time but he was stressed out by the time we got out, anyone else been and how was it?

JsMum

I took my son last year. We went during the week and it was fairly quiet actually in the shop but really busy at Oxford Circus. Kerre got quite upset so we hailed a taxi which gave him space to calm down.

He thought Hamleys was quite disappointing - 'It's just a toyshop!'

London can get a bit overwhelming if you're in the thick of it. I've found that the South Bank is quite good as you can stroll along the river far more peacefully whilst still doing stuff - Tate Modern, the London Eye, HMS Belfast, the Millennium Bridge - we sometimes take a picnic and they quite often have entertainers along the way.

The Underground can be a bit of a nightmare though. The first time we went and they announced that the train would terminate at Upminster, Kerre thought they meant it was going to literally 'terminate' by exploding or something.

I can tell that I'm going to need to plan another trip as he's keen to try out the slides at Tate Modern and visit the gaming exhibition at the Science Museum. Oh well!

Barefoot

Ha ha, last time we went to Hamleys (we go quite often, living close to London etc), my son ran into a MASSIVE stuffed giraffe that went hurtling on to the top of the head of a guy who was crouching down doing up his shoe laces!! I'm surprised it didn't kill him, this giraffe was about life size and �3,500! I was mortified.

Even without the heat and crowds, all the toys are enough to give anyone sensory overload. There's too much choice, my son always leaves there with nothing because the choice is too overwhelming. He doesn't usually get too bothered with sensory things.

Best bit about Hamleys though ... for anyone contemplating it ... is the sweets department!!! Husband is partial to the chocolate brazils, his last pick'n'mix was �6.00.

The Rainforest Cafe (Trocadero) in London is brilliant, we love it ... but not for the kids who dont like crowds ... or roaring gorillas!

I took my daughter who loved it but it would be a nightmare with Logan - I wouldn't even dream of taking him there.

Lynne x

never been to hamleys,always wanted to go but never got round to it.

took steve on london eye last week he loved it,he hated the aquarium though and we had to leave after 10 minutes,he said there was too many fish there :blink:

hi,never been to hamleys but went to local amerteur railway where they had a thomas the tank engine replica.with adam our autistic son.got there early it was about 20 odd quid for all day.went on 2 train rides when we got off last one it had got really busy with screaming kids and people everywhere.he started to get upset so tried calming him in end took him to gift shop thinking a few thomas toys would pacify him ,took him back out but no he really kicked off.so ended up go through exit,past long line of people trying to get in,total time spent 1 hr.

We haven't been to Hamleys, but we live near London and that's very fortunate because DS2's latest fixation is... London.

Specifically, he likes to see Big Ben (hearing it chime has given him something to 'talk' about for weeks), St Paul's Cathedral was 'big', Westminster Abbey was busy but OK and Tower Bridge goes up, you know (but not for us).

He's learnt so much - the guide books for children are a godsend - and it's lovely to spend time with just him, even if it's just for a couple of hours.

We take the train in to London, he wears his ear protectors and sunglasses (yes, even if it's raining) and even a ride on the Tube (which I used to hate - he's helped me to get back on it!) or a bus or in a taxi is an experience for him. We even had lunch in a restaurant together - so peaceful without his brothers!!!

So even though London is a heaving metropolis, it is possible to 'do' it. I think I'll probably avoid Hamleys, though!

Lizzie x

The Science Museum is our favourite. Even when it's busy it doesn't feel crowded because it's so big, and you can take your own picnic. The South Bank is beginning to look really good too with all the work they're doing on it: there are often lots of free events and exhibitions along there.

For something different, and not too crowded as it's a bit off the tourist trail, try the Design Museum - full of interesting gadgets.

K x