Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Educational pyschologist

Hi all,

Could someone please give me an insight on what the educational pyschologist actually looks into and assesses.

M has been waiting to see ours for months and months. I have met with her once and she has since told me he is scheduled to be seen sometime this term! The school are useless and the head/senco brushes it all under the carpet. The thing is I am worried about M. He is going through the hate school stage (again) and has said he feels dead, doesn't feel alive anymore. He also talks about dying a lot and told me he thinks he's dying, something in his head is telling him that. I am thinking of writing the head a letter telling her I am concerned and asking her when exactly he is going to be seen by the ed pysh, but wondered if this sort of thing is something she would be looking at.

IF anyone knows i'd be grateful.

Thanks

Mum22boys

As a council tax payer you are entitled to 1 hour a year ed psych time! iT IS NOT WELL KNOWN BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT COPE WITH THE DEMAND IF EVERYONE ASKED TO SEE ONE.

I would document your concerns and write requesting a meeting because your son is in crisis - always a good word to use!

Dont be afraid to exercise your rights.

I was told this by an ed psych in a support group meeting and was told by a friend in another area this was the position there as well, its just the ed psychs dont really want people to know.

Hi Mum22boys,

Rather than write to the Head, it would save a lot of time and hassle to call the Ed. Physc. yourself, we did. At least then you can express your concerns and ask as many questions as you want directly.

If you haven't got a direct number for the Ed. Physc. give your local council a ring, they should be able to put you through or at least give you the phone number for them.

Annie

xx

Thanks,

Have decided to ring CAMHS first. He is still under them and I think the fact he is unhappy at school is causing the sleep problems as well. His psych will phone me later, hopefully.

Will keep you informed.

mum22boys

Hi,

What do they do?? Very good question! :lol:

EPs...... Here's a description

What do Educational psychologists do?

Educational psychologists tackle the problems encountered by young people in education, which may involve learning difficulties and social or emotional problems. They carry out a wide range of tasks with the aim of enhancing children's learning and enabling teachers to become more aware of the social factors affecting teaching and learning. Reports may be written about children for allocation of special educational places, or as part of court proceedings or children's panels.

Local education authorities employ the majority of educational psychologists, working in schools, colleges, nurseries and special units, primarily with teachers and parents. They regularly liase with other professionals from the departments of education, health and social services. A growing number work as independent or private consultants.

The work of an educational psychologist can either be directly with a child (assessing progress, giving counselling) or indirectly (through their work with parents, teachers and other professionals). Direct work involves some form of assessment to uncover the problem through consultation with professional colleagues, observation, interview, or use of test materials. Interventions might plan learning programmes and collaborative work with a teacher. Recommendations are then made to determine the most appropriate education provision for children experiencing educational difficulties. Indirect work requires consultation and careful discussion, as the psychologist's contribution needs to be seen as relevant to people who know little about psychology.

In their role within a local authority, educational psychologists are often called upon to advise or join working/consultation groups on issues concerned with organisation and policy planning. With their research background they are in an ideal and often unique position within the education authority to plan and carry out research activities

As Annie said - i would contact them myself - usually through the LEA or sometimes on your county council website.

HTH >:D<<'>