Sign in to follow this  
citrine

sons referrals through..

my doctor decided to refer my son as he feels he is on the spectrum, anyways his referal came through today..

its in the beginning of january and he is seeing a pyschiatrist and pyschologist..

i,m feeling optimistic that we will find out what is going on with sunshine, but also very wary (not a lover of the medical profession)

i was just wondering if there was any tips for our visit in january, or anything that we should be aware of.. and is it normal to see these peeps on a first visit??

thanks for any advice or hints..

citrine xxx

that's great if you get to see the right people who can help you to figure out what is going on with your sunshine! i would make a note of any of the concerns you have about him, try to think of examples of his reactions to situations. they will probably ask you all about your family history and your son's developmental history.

is your son in school? if so they will want to contact them too.

I find it always really hard to remeber examples when I see people like this, my mind goes blank. Why dont you keep a note book for a while , you dont have to fill it in every day - that way you can record some examples to take and show them.

Hi,

I'm glad you got your son's referral through :thumbs: , it gives you a bit of time to prepare. I agree with the others, try to write down some examples of your son's behaviour and things that concern you. You could also try to write down things like what he was like as a baby, when he walked/talked etc because they will probably ask you this.

Good luck!

Loulou xx

thanks peeps :D

have already made a list of his behaviours, and do a little diary type thing when i remember to write it in lolol i,m just not very good at deciding what to write in or not...

am now deciding whether its the right thing to do, i keep thinking although he fits like a glove for aspies, maybe its just his age.. but then i think back on his behaviours and his sis who is 12mnths younger has never been like him, she is more chilled in her behaviour and not as rigid..

i know i,m being stupid lolol, and probably thinking what most other parents do, as i said i,m not good with conversing with peeps in some form of authority and get intimidated and defensive so easily, its because i have m.e and the fog messes with me head so get confused and sound stupid..

thanks again

citrine xxx

i,m not good with conversing with peeps in some form of authority and get intimidated and defensive so easily,

I react exactly the same way citrine, but don't worry, these people are quite used to parents being worried and nervous and I'm sure they're very used to this kind of reaction. Once you get started talking to them, if you feel you trust them, you might find you relax and it will all come flooding out. I told one Autism Outreach worker that I had lots of worries going round in my head from when my lad was little and he told me to write it all down. I told him it would be very long, and he said to go for it. It ended up 10 pages long, but it felt good to get it all down on paper at last!

Good luck and hope the appointment goes well. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~