Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Sometimes having an autistic child is amazing

For all its bad bits, sometimes having an autistic child is so amazing - Logan gets enthralled with things in a way that an NT child wouldn't. I know all kids get excited about stuff, but its different, its like constant wonder and awe for him - always when you see him playing with water, he's so involved in watching every little drip and how it twinkles and ripples and falls and I'm so loving watching him with the christmas tree - he's just amazed at the lights and will sit and twirl the baubles for ages watching the light reflecting off them, and then today I've just put on his mittens for the first time this year and he's totally amazed by the fact that he can feel his fingers move but not see them.

Sometime I wish I could see things the way he does!

Lynne x

I know exactly what you mean :D. Ds1 loves lights and we've actually found him on Youtube, when our town's Christmas lights were switched on last month. You can see him turn his head up to the lights when they go on and he just stares at them. He couldn't take his eyes off them :D.

When I was little I'd spot tiny bugs and just watch them, what they did and where they went. It was the way they moved: I know they were moving but couldn't see every movement, like when you see them close up on natural world documentaries: their limb movements are too quick to see. It's like seeing something moving and not moving at the same time.

I used to love watching tiny bugs as well. I can remember having this lovely chat to a ladybird for several minutes on a school trip when I was nine and the headteacher having to point out everyone was looking at me :blink:

M used to watch little bugs at school and he forgot to line up or go to the classroom. When the teachers told him off he lectured them about the life of bugs and explained to them how the school was a habitat but the school had no understanding for this and they once called me to say that his behaviour was unacceptable. I was always amazed at his observations and I encouraged him to keep watching.

Curra

I think it makes you realise how much we take for granted.

The detail my son sees in things is remarkable.

His memory for facts and information - and his ability to remember dates, places and the clothes we were wearing also comes in useful. I show him a photo and he can date it for me - exactly. I call him the 'human date stamp'.

Also he is funny, he has a real sense of humour and just cracks us up with the things he comes out with sometimes.

... and I'm so proud of him, he is doing so well, to see him at his nativity today looking like everyone else, singing away etc ... brilliant!

I think once you get over the initial grieving/mourning period of the diagnosis and appreciate the kids for what they are, you understand that the word "special" is not necessarily negative (although we all hate it).

... and it's true, nobody is normal!