Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

A bit of an update.

Had a visit from the social worker on Tuesday. She had been into see my middle 2 boys at school (with our consent) She said they are both lovely boys, that she went through feelings with them (she had a pack of cards that had pictures of different feelings on, which they played a game with) She then asked how things were at home, to which they replied ok, but that "Louis is angry a lot, but he was happy at the weekend because he was smiling because he helped put up the christmas tree decorations"

She said that she has not got a problem with what has happened with regards to Louis's ear. And she said that she understands that we have got to near enought the end of our tether and don't know what to do. She also said that she know's that our problems are not to do with our parenting skills :dance: .

She has suggested that we take part in something called a 'Family Group Conference', where family members and any friends willing to provide support, this SW, a co-ordinator, a SW from disability section, a person from school, and any other professionals we want there, all get together, and go through what problems we are having, and how each and every person in the room can help out. A plan would then be written out, and (hopefully) implemented.

She also gave me a lot of numbers for different support groups, and said that 'mentoring' (?) can be accessed for my middle 2, along with a group for siblings of disabled people. Oh, she also said something about something similar to the mentor for Louis himself. She will apparently give us more information on this when we have the FGC.

She said that we would not be entitled to respite. She said it is sh!t, but only those who literally cannot do anything can access respite.

At the end she said that she knows what we are going through. That she is a shared-carer of her nephew who is autistic (mute, still in nappies, violent, and self-harms). She said that she asked for our case because of the knowledge of AS.

>>She also gave me a lot of numbers for different support groups, and said that 'mentoring' (?) can be accessed for my middle 2, along with a group for siblings of disabled people. Oh, she also said something about something similar to the mentor for Louis himself. She will apparently give us more information on this when we have the FGC.

I'd be interested to know what support groups she suggested.

I'd also like to know about the mentoring for siblings and the group for them - never been told about any round here.

The Family Group Conference is OK as long as it doesn't just end up putting even more pressure on family to do more.

Karen

J - I'm so pleased things are more positive. Made me :tearful: reading your post :rolleyes::lol:

I'd be interested to know what support groups she suggested.

I'd also like to know about the mentoring for siblings and the group for them - never been told about any round here.

Me too please :)

Hi,

That's really good news :dance: .

The "Family Group Conference" sounds like a good idea. I think getting everyone together is the best thing. It's something i think i might enquire about for myself as i'm struggling at the moment.

As for the respite thing, i too was told i did not qualify, but i kept on asking and was then given 4 hours per week (i think this is the standard amount of time). I didn't end up using it as Kai is now boarding 2 nights a weeks so that's my respite. It's worth persuing it if you think it would benefit you.

>:D<<'> Loulou xx

Kazzen and Smiley, I am going to PM you.

It looks as if the FGC isn't going to work, for one reason or another, most of our family are not in the position to help out right now. (most have said that they would be willing to help out the odd day for 1 or some of the kids, but they are not willing - or able to commit to anything 'permanent'. The SW is going to have a chat with the co-ordinator to see if it is worth doing it without any extra family.