Sign in to follow this  
Siadwell

Wow, amazing

Borrowed this from another forum, hope they don't mind, but thought it quite amazing...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I really like this one.

I have seen something very similar to this before - in fact I have it somewhere and my DS1 had it stuck in his homework planner for a while!

Well done for finding it and thinking if putting it here, as I'd forgotten about it and I might need to dig it out again and compare the two!

:lol::lol::lol:

I think it's been on the forum before way back. It is fascinating but I disagree with the hypothesis. It is context and grammar which allows us to read meaning into the jumbled words. All the high frequency words are correctly spelt and the sentences have grammatical structure.

I will demonstrate it to you. Try to read the same words on their own, for example:

pweor oredr lteter wouthit taotl pclae porbelm cluod mnid aoccdrnig lsat mses

It's much more difficult without any grammatical "glue" to give meaning. And so spelling is still important. :)

K x

The human mind seems to other things too, like anticipating the word that will come next in order to complete the sentence in known order. So the first condition is to know the language and the second one to have read similar phrases before, such as "I couldn't believe that", "the only important thing is that" etc. :D

Curra

I agree that it's more reading the whole sentence that allows us to guess what the next word should be. In shorthand if you don't add in the vowels of words then one particular stroke can represent all the words 'it', 'ate', 'tea', 'toe', 'too', 'oat', 'at', 'eat', etc. but it's only when you read the whole sentence that you can know which word it should be, if you see it on it's own it could be lots of different things.

~ Mel ~