JenRose

NAS Advocacy for Education

Has anyone used this service before.

I have been appointed a worker but am waiting to be appointed an IPSEA worker as well and was wondering which one to go with so to speak!!!!

Thanks

Hi, I used this service when Max (6) was being statemented in nursery ready for starting Reception. It was brilliant!

I had to wait 2 weeks to be allocated a person, she was local to our LEA, and knew exactly how they worked and had been through it herself with her son.

I emailed her a copy of Maxs' proposed statement, (which was very loose) she went through suggesting amendments, and making it more specific, she also guided me through the process. She got me to setup a meeting with the LEA, and again gave me suggestions for the meeting. This included writing my own report using quotes from all Maxs' assessment reports, as to what he needed.

Each time I got a proposed statement I emailed it to her, and she went through it.

The end result was Max got 27 hours 1:1 with very specific tailored programs to meet his needs.

She was worth her weight in gold, I would recommend it.

Good luck

Jo

p.s. that was for Worcestershire LEA, I don't know how it is for other areas.

Ipsea train the NAS advocates.

I found this out when my son was refused an assessment last year...I phoned both as well and NAS were slightly quicker, but the advice from IPSEA was right on the nail....no messing about with them....when I needed them both a second time when the proposed statement came through; IPSEA were quicker......got through to their helpline and asked if someone could look at the proposed statement and she agreed to .

Has anyone used this service before.

I have been appointed a worker but am waiting to be appointed an IPSEA worker as well and was wondering which one to go with so to speak!!!!

Thanks

I used both at separate times, and found both to be very good.

I think it's best to go with just one, because of the danger of getting conflicting advice from different quarters - the two advisors will obviously give you the same advice on points of law, but may differ in their opinion of what action to take.

Also both services are quite overstretched - if you go with one, the other will be free to take on someone else.

K x

Got hold of IPSEA tonight and have to say the lady immediately put my mind at rest, NAS tend to just quote sections of law that LEA can and cant do but IPSEA give you immediate advice and tell you what to do.

Tonight the IPSEA lady told me to write to LEA and tell them that we dont agree with their provision in Part 3 and that we are not naming a school until this is put right.

She also told me what things to ask the mainstream school tomorrow and i have felt very calm since speaking to her!!!!!

So, i think i am going to stay with IPSEA.

Got hold of IPSEA tonight and have to say the lady immediately put my mind at rest, NAS tend to just quote sections of law that LEA can and cant do but IPSEA give you immediate advice and tell you what to do.

Tonight the IPSEA lady told me to write to LEA and tell them that we dont agree with their provision in Part 3 and that we are not naming a school until this is put right.

She also told me what things to ask the mainstream school tomorrow and i have felt very calm since speaking to her!!!!!

So, i think i am going to stay with IPSEA.

So glad you found the support you need JenRose. :P>:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Can I ask a question about IPSEA and NAS?

Do you have to have a specific problem / query or can you contact them to ask for general support during applying for a statement? We've just started the statementing process (although school are being pretty vague as to whether it's actually been sent off - we agreed to apply for one in early November, but I digress) and I'm wondering should we have someone involved. We were turned down last January as we'd just changed school and had Parenting Partnership involved then but the lady we saw last time has left her post.

IPSEA do have some of the best legal brains in the business.

In defence of the NAS, the two advisors I phoned, first when I was applying for a statement, and again with appeal no. 1, were extremely supportive and gave me lots of practical help and advice. I suppose it depends who you get on the day.

Good luck for tomorrow JenRose, let us know how it goes.

K x

Edited by Kathryn