fiorelli

Blood tests

Have any of your children had to have blood tests? How did they react? I have to take Louis to have one in the next week or so, and I'm dreading it! (I am visualising screaming matches, big meltdown, etc)

Have any of your children had to have blood tests? How did they react? I have to take Louis to have one in the next week or so, and I'm dreading it! (I am visualising screaming matches, big meltdown, etc)

J has had bllood tests as he was so poorly in hospital 18 months ago and he had a range of tests done including fragile x which all thankfully came back as negative his iron was on the low side but not enough to have treatment, he spent a week in for bed rest but the noise was causing his so much distress we came home for a few days.

he has just had a load of bloods retested to evaluate his levels and make sure everything is ok and again they are fine, J has what is called a butterfly as well as a needle that sucks in the blood straight into the tube which J was fine doing fine, I didnt lie to him either I did say it may hurt but for a second that is it.

It does hurt and I just achknowledged that it does and gave him cuddles and held his hand while he had them, with skilled nurses it can be done very quickly, explain to the nurse about his special needs and hopefully there will be no waiting and skilled play therapist to occupy him while they take his blood.

J had a good look at his tubes and the nurse told him about his bloods as its not the colour children expect.

Good luck and hope everything turns out fine like Js has done.

Js Mum

You can ask your GP for a prescription of EMLA cream. You put the EMLA cream on both arms at least 30 minutes prior to the blood test. After applying the cream put cling flim round the arms and go to the appointment. The cream can stay on longer than 30 minutes if necessary.

The child will not feel any pain as the cream sedates the area.

Butterflies can be used which are safer to use if the child/adult is likely to move.

Good luck

Jen

My son hated every minute, but won't wear anything sticky on his skin or have cream on so that was no good. Plus side being tests last minutes. TBH I don't think any child likes it.

L doesn't seem to find the needle especially painful or traumatic, it's the light tough of someone's hand she finds difficult to cope with, as well as the whole experience - noise, lights etc.

We've been able to minimise the stresses by asking for the first appointment of the afternoon so that there's no waiting. The last couple of tests have been done at our GP's surgery which is quieter and more familiar. I've usually found people very understanding and accommodating when I've explained the problems.

K x

My sons have all had to have blood taken at one time or another, its not nice but the pain is totally preventable if you ask for the EMLA cream. From my experiance the spray anaesthetic cream that you are often offered does not work so you have to stand your ground and insist on the EMLA. Mine just hated the fact that they had to sit still for 5mins having a nurse hold their arm. I often hide a pressie in my bag for after and tease them with it whilst they are having the blood taken! Takes their mind elsewhere!

Hi Fiorelli,

I took Kai for blood tests last year and i was absolutely petrified he'd kick off. He's had major surgery before so he's hospital phobic anyway. He was actually really good, but i made sure we got a specific appointment when there was an empty waiting room!

What i would suggest you do is phone the Pathology Dept first (if that's where he's having it done) and explain your concerns. It may be that it could be done in the Paediatric dept by someone who's more used to taking blood from children.

As others have said, INSIST on Emla cream (it's also called Amitop). Tell Louis it's magic cream which means he won't feel it. I have to admit i used bribery with Kai and promised him a lolly and Mc D's for lunch if he was good, which he was :D .

All the best,

Loulou xx

My son is somewhat hospital phobic too but has surprised us each time he has had blood taken, he's had it done a couple of times between the age of 4 and 6.

The cream on his hand worried him a bit and we did have problems getting him to have it on which we hadn't expected so hadn't really prepared him for. In the end Daddy had the cream on too!

For actually having it done he sat facing Dad, legs either side with his hands out of sight while I fed him sweets! It went fine.

Also worth explaining in advance to hospital staff in advance that your son has an asd and what they can do to help.

Js Experience of the ELMA cream was a very distressing one, when he had it was when he was around 4yrs, he didnt like the sensation at all, and it itched that much J had a bruise lasting over a week and his behaviour was highly hyperactive and was quickly upset after the cream was absorbed into his skin.

The last few times he hasnt had ELMA and he wasnt as hyper or upset and there was no issues with itching and been easily bruised.

With ELMA The sensation can be very daunting if your child has Sensory difficulties so just sharing Js experience.

JsMum