Sign in to follow this  
nellie

Extra help for struggling pupils

Some schools are already giving extra help. In year 6, L attended a Maths booster class after school, once a week. More recently at the same school my son has been involved in extra maths classes, this time within school hours. I think the extra input did help.

The 1-1 tuition is an innovation though, it will be interesting to see how that works. In my opinion, the help should be put in much earlier than late primary - particularly in maths.

K x

There is nothing innovative about this. The education system has regularly come up with schemes to help kids who struggle with core subjects at KS2 and KS3 for the past 30 or so years. Many schools have implemented 1:1 tuition for a long time.

I am waiting for the day when the education system will provide help and resources for clever kids with SEN.

i agree with you canopus. i heard today the tuition will be offered out of school, im not sure i agree with this either. waaay too many hours are spent with school and homework as it is. they should be giving the kids the extra support in the class than out of it!! there seems to be hardley any room for "family" time as it is these days.

there does not seem to be enough help to those children who have "normal" iq, even if that does mean they still under-achieve. they dont take into consideration a child potential in my opinion.

i think this just means less money available to higher functionng asd'ers in mainstream schools.

I also agree with you Canopus. Though of course I'm not impartial, but what is the point of being super bright academically if you haven't received the support you need to get through school with some self-esteem left and without being a depressed nervous wreck at the end of it?

Hi I think it is a good idea that children who are behind could be offered extra help.However I have a reservation.Ben does not enjoy school at times and it can be a challenge to get him to take part in lessons that he dislikes.I cannot imagine him agreeing to participate in extra work outside of school even with individual help.What is more I appreciate his feelings.I thought that guidance on provision for children with additional needs stated that this should be provided within the school day.I am concerned that this could lead to a trend where children who need extra support are offered it outside of the school day.Having read the report it appears that children would need to be significantly behind to be offered support-surely these are the children who should have provision funded within school.

If I am very niave and idealistic please feel free to challenge me. :D:D Karen.

Dont hold your breath, its just another eye catching initiative by the Government. It will be quietly dropped.

Who these extra teachers will be, how they will be paid from already over stretched budgets and how already dienchanted children will be persuaded to return to school each evening hasnt been mentioned.

Dont hold your breath, its just another eye catching initiative by the Government. It will be quietly dropped.

Who these extra teachers will be, how they will be paid from already over stretched budgets and how already dienchanted children will be persuaded to return to school each evening hasnt been mentioned.

Yes I was thinking the same thing myself.They cannot get enough teachers to work in London as it is-how they will magic up extra ones I do not know.Karen

i agree with you canopus. i heard today the tuition will be offered out of school, im not sure i agree with this either. waaay too many hours are spent with school and homework as it is. they should be giving the kids the extra support in the class than out of it!! there seems to be hardley any room for "family" time as it is these days.

After school help and support sessions have existed for decades. My primary school used to run them back in the 80s. A possibility exists that these tuition sessions will end up being used as an opportunity for teachers to make kids finish their unfinished classwork.

there does not seem to be enough help to those children who have "normal" iq, even if that does mean they still under-achieve. they dont take into consideration a child potential in my opinion.

The British education system wastes the potential of intelligent kids. Most schools only recognise sporting and musical talents and don't care less about high ability in anything else.

i think this just means less money available to higher functionng asd'ers in mainstream schools.

It wouldn't surprise me if money is quietly siphoned off from here.

After school help and support sessions have existed for decades. My primary school used to run them back in the 80s. A possibility exists that these tuition sessions will end up being used as an opportunity for teachers to make kids finish their unfinished classwork.

you are right there!