Sign in to follow this  
Elenes

Irritable bowel?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a child who displays IBS symtoms when stressed?

My child is complaining that she hates the way her tummy feels every day. She is going through a very stressed phaase and school refusal. This morning (4am) she was sick,..and has been sitting on the loo! I would think it was a bug, but she had a bug a couple of weeks ago with the same symptms. Now, i am wondering if actually she is so stressed she is actually having physical symptoms.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your help.

Elenes

My son has always suffered from tummy aches, vomiting, diarreah, heartburn and constipation when he is stressed, particularly when things at school were too much for him. There have been times that he was so poorly that even the GP suspected apendicitis, but all was strees. I think that is quite common in children with ASD

Curra

Yes my son is fine during school holidays but often gets an upset tum in term- time particularly towards the end of term when he is more stressed.

My 5 yo is on medication to relieve symptoms of IBS. Its much worse in term time than in holiday time. Without his medicine he suffers regular tummy aches (at least we think that he does but he can not tell us - just cries and looks uncomfortable) and has dreadful liquid diarrhoea.

poor wee souls, i can sympathise as a sufferer, and it aint pleasant as an adult.

My son has always been constipated but when stressed he will vomit and have stomach migraines. He goes very pale and shaky sometimes and will fall asleep wherever he is and when he wakes up will sometimes throw up and then he's fine!

Stress most definatley can bring out physical symptoms, not that i'm a Doctor or anything but i know in my boys case it's true.

my youngest daughter (12 NT) suffers from anxieties and these often present as stomach aches and sickness although rarely diarrhoea. one week she was sent home 3 times from school because she was 'ill' although once home she was fine again. there was no doubt she had been feeling ill as she was pale and shakey but I think it was all to do with anxiety as I later found out something at school was stressing her our and once that was sorted the stomach aches disapeared.

Summertime i'm with you on that one,

I was called into school twice in one week to pick my son up and when we got home he was fine. I later came to realise he was so anxious about his sandwiches in his packed lunch (got to be a bread, ham and cut to his liking) that he was literally sick with worry. The smell of different bread or ham can be enough to make him throw up.

It was sucha shame because he would start getting uptight before he even left the house in the morning and he was getting phobic about his lunch, i have never strayed from the usual brands of bread and ham again and he still trys his best not to eat them if he can get away with it but he's better at coping with it now.