Sign in to follow this  
Emum

SALT's power to diagnose

Does anyone know whether a SALT is allowed under professional rules to diagnose ASD (or anything else for that matter) without reference to a psychologist, psychiatrist, paediatrician, or any other professional for that matter? I was under the impression that this was at least contrary to their professional code of conduct, but can't now find what I have based that impression on, and it has come up a couple of times with friends whose children have been "diagnosed" following a single assessment by a SALT with no reference to a wider team.

If anyone could point me in the right direction on this, I'd be grateful.

Diagnosis can be made by psychiatrists, clinical psychologists and, in the case of children, paediatricians.

I believe SALT cannot make a diagnosis on their own but can be part of a multi-disciplinary teams (i.e. made up of a number of different health professionals) involved in diagnosing autism.

Sorry I haven't been able to find evidence to back this up.

Nellie xx

I think they can be part of the diagnostic team but can't make a diagnosis on their own. IIRC when we were in for Logans weeks assessment, the final say is the clinical psychologists?

Lynne x

it was SALT who first suggested ASD with my DD but dx was by a muliple professional panel which included SALT but also pead consultant ,clinical phsycologist,OT,play therapist!!

We found ours very helpful as she sat on assessments and had experience of working with ASD kids, but she wouldn't have been in a position to give a formal diagnosis.

I think that what is actually happening is the SALT is strongly suggesting ASD and the parents are interpreting this as a definite diagnosis.

The reason I posted the question is that a lot of parents in my area are being told by SALT that their child is on the autistic spectrum, without any further referrals to other professionals. This is the basis on which their child is then statemented.

My understanding was that SALTs did not have power formally to diagnose, as this was something only a doctor or psychologist could do, but I haven't been able to find anything in writing to back this up, and the SALT professional guidelines are not available online to the general public, and cost �40 to order a hard copy.

If anyone does know the answer, particularly the SALT who used to post here, though I haven't seen her on for ages, I would still be grateful for a response.