Sign in to follow this  
jinny

School responsibility

My son is 6 and 1/2. Diagnosed with ASD last July06.

His organisational skills are not great & he constantly comes out of school without something. Lunchbox, coat, sweatshirt etc. I usually have to go back in with him and teacher will say 'what has he forgotten today?'

Is it too much to expect a teacher to check he has everything before he comes out?

Do you think this is their responsibility . Am I expecing too much from the school?

He has an IEP - very basic I must add. Just waiting on Educ Board deciding if they will do assessment.

Organisation is an importaNT skill he nneds not only his education but other things in life too.

I dont think you are unreasonable to raise this with school.

How does he manage in a morning?

I have done a chart for dressing whcih we go through every morninge with phots for each stage. My friend has one she uses where her son puts the task card into the box after hes done it.

Maybe you could ask school for something similar(or do it yourself where he can can check all the items are there before he comes out. Youll jsut have to be patient with him as it will make him later.

Hi J had this problem as well and it usally caused more problems the next day as well with no pack up box to put his lunch in, no jumper to put on and no coat to wear on the way, his pe kit would need washing and ironing only to find its been hanging on his peg all weekend, and his homework was in its tray and due in today, so that ment a no playtime, so we needed to make a plan of action as it was causing so much distress as J wouldnt go to school knowing he had to miss a playtime, or getting drenched in the way to school as his coat was already at school, so we had to have a meeting about his unorganised life.

The Teacher made him a chart with pictures of things he needed to remember on his peg.

so pe bag, pack up box, school jumper, school jacket, school homework bag, summer cap or wooly hat, gloves and boots.

for every one he remebered he could tick it off.

The Teacher also banned the no playtime if he hadnt done his homework and we got up 1/2 hour earlier to prepare his school kit as he also had a chart at home as well.

Letters where directed straight to me been posted in the post rather than expecting J to remember to give them as usually they would be discarded as he changed into his shoes or got interested in a insect or a picture.

I think your school could understand the real issues with your sons ASD and how processing information will be diffierent for him and organising will take longer and he will need assistance and praise.

After a week of the visual chart J was coming out with most of his school items so it did help him but what helped the most was having the Teacher supporting him and not having a go at him, but sugestive reminders and helpful mannerisms.

You could request a visual chart and write a letter that you would like some support in helping your son develop some organising and planning skills.

JsMum

Jinny,

By law, schools have to make reasonable adjustments for children with disabilities. I think putting strategies in place to help your child with their organisational skills is making a reasonable adjustment. If the school haven't got the expertise to help your child they should be seeking support from outside agencies.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get something sorted out.

Nellie xx

There's some useful information for schools here.

DfES Guidance on Autistic Spectrum Disorders.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/sen/asds/

Autistic Sprectrum Disorders - A Guide to Classroom Practice

http://www2.deni.gov.uk/inspection_service...20Disorders.pdf

Information on Disability Discrimination.

SENDA: Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2001/20010010.htm

DRC - The Disability Rights Commission is an independent body established in April 2000 by Act of Parliament to stop discrimination and promote equality of opportunity for disabled people.

http://www.drc-gb.org/

Disability Rights - Codes of practice

http://www.drc-gb.org/the_law/legislation_...f_practice.aspx

It's definately the school's responsibility to ensure he has all his bits and pieces before sending him out the door. C has shocking organisational skills (assessment showed his to be on par with a toddlers) and he frequently comes home with no glasses, homework, coat, etc. His OT assessments are due to be completed shortly, and this should hopefully enable some sort of instruction to be added to all his paperwork (no IEP, as he has no academic needs), or perhaps the introduction of a school organisational chart for him.

On a more basic level, I can manage to ensure that my class of 28 NT kids (who will endeavour to leave their homework, jackets, etc everyday) have all that they should have before I release them. It's not hard.

Hi I have an 8 year old who always fogetts things and needs reminding.Personaly I think that with approx 30 children in the class it is not realistic to expect the teacher to provide reminders if she/he does not have TA support in class-especially once a child is past reception.However you could ask for a target to be added to the IEP re organisation.It would provide you with evidence if you decide to push for more support or try for a Statutary assessment.It also demonstates to the school that you notice that your child is having difficulties.Regards Karen.