oxgirl

Braces??!! (*gulp*)

Does anyone elses teen have braces??!! My lad is 13 and he does need them really as his teeth are coming out all wonky! Trouble is, I've only just about managed to get him to the stage where he'll sit back in the dentist's chair, never mind let the dentist actually TOUCH him!! He's got an appointment at the Orthadontist and I'm sure they're going to say he needs braces but I'm so worried about how he'll cope (or not) with them!! :o

Anyone else got them??!!

~ Mel ~

>:D<<'> I feel for you too, my son is 11 and we,ve just had a referral through for may , to see the orthodontist.He,s already saying he isn,t having a brace but I,ve been really firm with him :rolleyes::tearful: , and I,ve stressed that he really neefds to have one as the alternative will be having them taken out.

can you ask for referrals to local dental hospital?

my 11 yr old son is recieving fantastic treatment from dental hosp, can't believe the stuff he's let them do at appointments. they take a lot of time and trouble, and have been v understanding.

he had a lot of extractions under GA and metal crowns, only thing he was pretty rough in recovery.

he still has crooked teeth and wondering if they'll suggest braces.

dental hygiene has to be excellent to consider braces.

My 12 year old has had fixed braces on his top and bottom teeth for the past six months or so now.

He says that none of the treatment is particularly painful, although the wirework is uncomfortable for a couple of days after it is done. He hates going to the ordinary dentists, but has no trouble with the orthodontist.

His teeth were very crooked. Only a few months later they're looking so much better - so much so that the orthodontist (or "awful dentist" as we call him!!) is planning to take off the wires very soon.

Having a brace makes eating a bit more difficult because you can't bite straight into things - everything has to be cut up small - and there are certain things you can't eat, like chewing gum, raw carrots, apples, etc which all have the chance of knocking the brace out of place and necessitating more treatment.

Although it has been successful for my 12 year old, it isn't something I'd put my 9 year old through - I think it might just be too difficult for him to live with his sensory problems and the brace.

Thanks everyone for your input. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I think it might just be too difficult for him to live with his sensory problems and the brace.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm concerned about with my son. Not sure he'd even be able to cope with them putting them on him in the first place, he has so far only tolerated a few seconds of the dentist squirting the water jet thingy at him before he tried to bolt out of the chair. Then there's the problems of once they're on, the eating and the cleaning are going to be just too difficult for him to cope with, I'm sure. He can't even tolerate the feeling of a new pair of pants without having a meltdown let alone this!! :o

Not sure what to do though, as don't want him to end up with hideous teeth, it's hard. :(

~ Mel ~

If the only reason to do it is cosmetic, I would leave things be. If he is bothered about the look of his mouth, he can have them fixed when he is an adult, and make his own choice about whether the discomfort is worth it or not. FWIW I have quite crooked teeth and wish my parents had had them done when I was younger but they don't cause me any problems, I am more aware of them than anyone else, and I am not ASD and had no sensory issues, and know that if I was motivated enough I could have them corrected now enough even at the grand old age of 38.

If the only reason to do it is cosmetic, I would leave things be. If he is bothered about the look of his mouth, he can have them fixed when he is an adult, and make his own choice about whether the discomfort is worth it or not. FWIW I have quite crooked teeth and wish my parents had had them done when I was younger but they don't cause me any problems, I am more aware of them than anyone else, and I am not ASD and had no sensory issues, and know that if I was motivated enough I could have them corrected now enough even at the grand old age of 38.

Yes, I know what you're saying, Emum. I have slightly crossed teeth and always longed for lovely straight ones. Trouble is, if he does decide to get them done when he's older, it's gonna cost him about three grand at least, whereas he could have them done free now and benefit for the rest of his life. :blink:

Guess I'll just wait and see what they say at the appointment, there's no rush, I guess I'm just panicking. :P

Cheers. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

My 13 year old with AS was told he should have a brace to correct a couple of his teeth. He was fine at the orthodontisit's (I explained the sort of problems R might have before hand - he was 11 then).

He tried several different ways of moving the teeth (to avoid giving him a full brace). Unfortuately they all didn't work for various reasons - one kept breaking and the last one was a hook on the outside of an upper tooth connected to a hook on the inside of a lower tooth by a rubber band, but the hook kept falling off. I think R kept fiddling with the rubber band! In the end, as the problem with his teeth was not too important, we gave up. The orthodontist said it is the first time he had had to give up on a child!

However, he was very good with my son and the things he did did not bother my son too much (even the taking of impressions). It is worth going to see what the othodontist suggests.

Karen

My son has ASD and Dyspraxia as well as other issues.

Our dentist told him 2 years ago when he is a teenager he will need braces and I have had 2 years of him freaking out about it and wanting to know every single detail of how when why.

They are just waiting till he loses all his baby teeth as he seems to be losing them late, I think by his next appointment this April they might refer him for the braces then.

They are also saying my 9 year old son needs them too.

My son has ASD and Dyspraxia as well as other issues.

Our dentist told him 2 years ago when he is a teenager he will need braces and I have had 2 years of him freaking out about it and wanting to know every single detail of how when why.

They are just waiting till he loses all his baby teeth as he seems to be losing them late, I think by his next appointment this April they might refer him for the braces then.

They are also saying my 9 year old son needs them too.

Good luck, PinkSapphireAngel, sounds like you're in the same boat. My lad is very resistant even to the idea of having them, let alone letting anyone come near him or, heaven forbid, TOUCH him!! :o

~ Mel ~