Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

GREAT NEWS

This morning I had my son's annual review (only 6 months after receiving his statement), and it went very well! There weren't many people there, just the SENCO, school doctor, Connexions Adviser, my son and myself; no ed psych, no LEA, no others who had been invited, but then for the review that was before ours, even the parents hadn't shown up...

Anyway, it was decided to fully maintain all in the statement (incl the unit and 32.5 hours 1-2-1!), and to see if it was possible to find funding for after school activities as he really needs them for his social development (and for me to be able to spend some time with his brothers). All in all, a very good support, I was so relieved as I had been afraid that he would get less hours (he is expected As for most of his GCSEs next year)!

And this from a school who wouldn't admit he had any additional needs at all just over a year ago!!!

So everyone, please have hope, these things do happen, and situations can fully turn around for the good!

And this from a school who wouldn't admit he had any additional needs at all just over a year ago!!!

This really annoys me. We had this, our daughter's school would not acknowledge she had a problem and insisted she was making 'appropriate progress'. We had to fight for over 2 years to get her a statement without any help only hindrance from school. They then did a complete turnaround once we got the statement and didn't have anyone 'qualified enough to deal with her very complex needs' so had to advertise in the local press!!! They're being quite good and really trying hard with her now but I'm finding it a bit hard to 'forgive and forget'.

It's the system that's at fault. Schools don't want to recognise any problems if they think they'll have to pay out of their own resources for it. :angry::angry:

Pleased the annual review went so well for you.

Lisa

Mother In Need, so pleased to hear the review went well. We also have very few people who have turned up to our dd's reviews over the years...usually its us, her teacher and one other person if we are lucky :rolleyes:

They're being quite good and really trying hard with her now but I'm finding it a bit hard to 'forgive and forget'.

Exactly the same here, I too had to fight for 1 1/2 years, and only met brick walls all around, till I got a solicitor involved, handed in 90 page parental representation and (with the help of IPSEA) completely rewrote my son's draft statement.

Now they are really working great with him, BUT I too find it hard to forgive and forget, and dread what will happen if the SENCO were to change again... At least he should be alright for the next year after this review, BUT I still don't feel I can relax as the current SENCO is already thinking of leaving and the unit he is in is only supposed to support children for up to 20 weeks and he is the first, one and only 'permanent' child....

That is such fab news. It seems that someone is looking down on you and smiling - at last!!

One thing though, why was the annual review only 6 months after the statement was received? We wee told yesterday by our head that the annual review takes place on the anniversary of the finalised statement being issued. Did she tell us wrong(wouldn't be surprised)!

Phoebe

Phoebe, as far as I know it is indeed supposed to be annually, though the LEA can bring this forward if they wish. In my school's case, they hold all their annual reviews in one week of the year, so as to book in the relevant professionals (not that they show up, but that's the idea). Here in Cornwall one professional can cover an area that's 100s and 100s of square miles and they spend a lot of time travelling. Eg the doctor that was there today, her office is a good hour's drive away.

mother in need,brilliant news,always cheers me up when i read posts like yours,makes me feel that maybe things could turn around for steve

This is fantastic news, :thumbs: It's good to know when some schools and LEA's get it right - even though you had to work hard to get there. :wacko:

I hope your son carries on doing well and that the support stays in place. :pray:

K x

Thanks all! They also said that they would, all three parties independently of each other, send letters to social services begging them for some help. With it coming from three sides at the same time, plus hopefully from the psychiatrist again as well, maybe........maybe......maybe I'd get some help. Won't hold my breath though, but I could sure use it to spend some time with my other two sons.