Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Annual Review.

Well, we had Louis's annual review yesterday. All I can say is, What a farce!

We got there, and the people that were there were us, DEPUTY Headteacher, Classteacher and the class SSA.

We were handed out a copy of papers headed "Statement of Special Educational Needs Annual Review Report".

The meeting consisted of the Deputy head reading directly from this report, then the classteacher reading from this report, and then the class SSA reading 'Pupil's Views'.

Question: How do you think you are getting on in your present school?

Answer: I think I am getting on very well and I like being here.

Q: What are you best at in school?

A: I am best at maths, but I also think I'm best at swimming too.

Q: What do you find the hardest in school? Why do you find this difficult?

A: I find literacy the hardest because I struggle to keep up with the other children.

Q: Where do you feel you are making most progress? What helps you do well here?

A: I think I am making most progress in geography because I am listening more to the staff.

Q: How do you get on with adults in school?

A: Good I think, I like them all.

Q: How do you get on with other children?

A: good. I like mixing with the other children in the school.

Q: What would help you to do even beter in school?

A: To try even harder n all my lessons.

Q: What do you enjoy doing after school and a the weekends?

A: going out on trips with my family and I enjoy playing games with mum in the evenings.

Q: What would you most like to achieve in the next year or two?

A: I would like to improve in all my lessons, especially in Reading.

Q: Do you have any other comments?

A: I do not want to leave this school.

After reading this bit, the SSA then said that Louis had difficulty understanding the questions, and it took quite a lot of explaining to get him to understand and give an answer...

We were then told that we "have a space to write your views, you don't need to do it now, you can take it home to fill in" Then there proceeded to be a big long awkward quiet space where both my husband and I afterwards said we felt we were being pressured into saying something but both decided we weren't going to.

We were then told that as soon as we have written our bit, the headteacher will then sign this report, and then off it will go to the LEA.

I suppose the good things to come out of it were that the school don't see a reason to cease to maintain the statement, and we found out the levels that Louis is working at (will put this in a different post, as have questions to ask)

>>We were then told that we "have a space to write your views, you don't need to do it now, you can take it home to fill in" Then there proceeded to be a big long awkward quiet space where both my husband and I afterwards said we felt we were being pressured into saying something but both decided we weren't going to.

You should have been given this to fill in prior to the Review. You shoudl also have been given the reports at least two weeks prior to the meeting. Then at the meeting, it is an opportunity for you to ask questions about what they have said eg: about his progress.

Perhaps you should call Parent Partnership and ask for their information sheet on Annual Reviews and then ask why a school wouldn't follow that process.

Karen

Karen, we knew that. I wrote a letter to the headteacher about this, and I got a phonecall back from him saying that "this is the way I have done it for the last 13 years [so I don't see any reason to change this now*]." I will be insisting on following proper procedures from now on as this was a complete and utter farce.

*The is the unsaid meaning that I got from the phonecall, and not what he actually said.

So the school are saying that they don't care what the parents think (as they are not going to read or discuss your comments, only pass them on to the LEA). How are your comments going to be used in determining the suitability of the placement at the Review, if no one is aware of them? You may be having lots of difficulties with your child at home, as a result of an unsuitable placement - do they care?

Tell them, just cos they have done something wrong for 13 years, does not mean it is OK to continue. Perhaps when your child breaks a few of the school rules, you should tell him that your son has been behaving that way for many years now, so it must be OK?!

I think someone said before that the Head is supposed to send in the Annual Review Report within 10 days of the Review - in that case maybe you should return your form on the 10th day.

Karen

>>and I got a phonecall back from him saying that "this is the way I have done it for the last 13 years

It would be good to ask him to put his response to your letter in writing.

Karen