Sign in to follow this  
hedders

Anyone can explain behaviour in changes

Sometimes my dd gets anxious with change in things that she doesnt enjoy e.g supermarkets and crowded environments but does anyone has a child that often gets overexcitied and cant calm down even if there playing chase.

I dont quite understand this over excitied behaviour is it way that she express herself when she is happy?

Can this be a autistic trait? i know from research that getting distressed with changes can be

Does it affect girls differently?

Hi hedders -

I don't know if i'm reading your query correctly, but if so I would say your daughters response to (i.e.) a game of chase is entirely normal childhood behaviour. Kids don't usually have the same kind of social control that adults have, that can be switched 'on' or 'off' depending on the current activity - they just tend to spiral up and then need to be redirected and refocussed into calmer behaviour after the 'high' activity has finished.

Before Ben came along, I was the bane of my friends' lives, because I would go for a visit and in 'favourite uncle' mode wind their kids up to screaming point... after I'd gone they'd have the unenviable task of bringing them back down again for bedtime! NOW I know what the latter feels like :wacko::lol::lol::lol:

To the other part of your question - responding to environmental changes/supermarkets - that can be (and is recognised as being) an AS/ASD response, but these kinds of places and situations are highly stimulating anyway, so you have to weigh up whether it's an 'overstimulation' response or a direct response to the changes rather than the environment...

Hope that made sense(?)

L&P

BD :D

Well i have a girl with an ASD so i might be able to help. I find my daughter can get over active in response to stimuli. Like a supermarket, its like someone switches a switch, and she becomes over emotional, exitable, tears one min, hyper and happy the next.

Things like when listening to music, she will jump about dangrously, shout, shriek so she can be heard above the music, makes it impossible to listen to music in this house. Sometimes she will just cry very very loud.

I understand this to be a sensory thing. supermarkets are notorious for triggering sensory stimulation, bright lights, crowds, and the noise make it very difficult for them.

My son had a silly switch for years. He would be totally OTT and go into hyper mode. I now run a support group and I wish I had a penny for every time a parent brings this one to the group. My husband tells people that we have never been able to figure out where the battery compartment is so we are unable to take em out and kidsrus won?t tell us where they hid the compartment. :lol:

I know that all kids can be silly and OTT but often our children take this to a totally different level. And once this happens with our son a tanturm often follows because he has become totally over excited.

Hope this helps.

Cat

I think all children are prone to get over-excited when playing certain types of games, but I think children with asd are more prone to this - presumably because they get overloaded with sensory stimulation more easily.

I have always had to watch the children closely and call time-out before things get out of hand.

It is difficult because you want your child to have fun and it is good to see them taking part in a game, but if you don't call time-out, you get to the "someone is going to get hurt if you don't calm down" stage.

Karen

This so sounds like my dd, she can become so hyped she just cant calm down naturally without a meltdown, also during a meltdown she can go from screaming and tearing chunks out of me to manic giggling hysteria.

Its almost like she is drunk, as she falls all over the place also.

Im often wary of playing chase or rough and tumble games with her as it nearly always ends in over stimulating her.

I often wondered if this was common AS behaviour. when trying to explain it to my health visitor she just says dd is having tantrums like all children, but this is so much more than your average tantrum!

DD also doesnt do supermarkets and at present im struggling to venture anywhere in public without a meltdown, today i was so pleased when we managed to get her fringe trimmed at hairdressers without a problem only to find the literal second we walked out the door she sat on the floor and screamed, and we had a 20min meltdown!

yes it all makes sense to me not sure why the visual stim makes dd get so excited?

Is this part of as/asd or just SID ? sorry for daft questions

My question with playing chase or physical play with family the high energy level and noise from her is it because she has diffculty knowing when to stop? and yes to you all when she displays this behaviour it always follows with getting distressed i have a calming programme from ot now.

J is just generally emotionally sensitive. By that I mean he overreacts not only to negative emotions like fear, anxiety etc but to positives too, like pride, happiness, enjoyment. It's a balancing game trying to keep things in proportion. Sometimes he could come home from school bouncing and sensitive, quick to anger and quite delicate - I've often assumed something unpleasant and unsettling has occurred when in fact he's done something quite nice and exciting, something he's enjoyed. A calm, relaxing day out walking in the countryside can have the same after-effect - the enjoyment can kick him off and the effects can be the same as if he were really upset.

And yes, all kids get out of control when they're excited - that's what kids are for!

Karen

x

hi

from my own experience, my son (4.5 ) has always had a switch that can be triggered in public situation, doctors surgery, buses, cafe etc ...i suppose they all deal with it differently but he starts bolting around and being very demanding particulaly if he knows someone is watching and giggling manically.There is no stopping him when he gets like this and its awful to cope with. He likes to dive for the safety of the floor by crawling at super fast speed the length or breadth of any given area or pavement or will dive under a bench chair or table or shelves in a supermarket or behind clothes in a shop and always tries to hide under it/ in it etc ...u dont know how many people shake their head, roll their eyes or tell me he is a show off having a tantrum. But it so isnt like that..he stumbles about and always rolls on the floor in public places when someone has looked at him and the eye contact has freaked him out. Most people ask me what i have been feedng him as if i have fed him coca cola or something which i totally havent ..im a single parent and i have to be feeling really strong to attempt a town outing with him here ......he is much worse when he is with friends as he has realised that whilst he struggles to fit in with his peers, he can always make them laugh by doing totally inappropriate things and so this is how he copes......its exhausting as when he realises after that he did something inappropriate , he beats himself up emotionally and gets very negative.....i agree its a complex balencing game outside the house

Di