Sign in to follow this  
frazzled

Class size

My 5 yr HF daughter is in a mainstream class but my gut feeling is that one of the problems is the class size, which is in the upper twenties with four special needs kids.

Does anyone out there have an opinion on this based on their own experience?

Hi Frazzled :) ,

My son couldn't cope with school all the way through, but when we finally managed to secure an education package whereby he was in a small group setting (5 or 6 pupils), there was a complete turnaround in him. He was about 15 by then, his stress levels dropped dramatically and he probably managed to do more work in the short time he was there than ever before. So, going just by our experience, I'd say yep, small classes are better for our children.

If the right support and understanding are in place, that can make a huge difference too.

Annie

xx

Hi Frazzled,

I think this is something that's really interesting - basically the research evidence is really mixed - there's so many other thing going on in the classroom that to say that differences are entirely due to one factor such as class size is difficult.

However, if you want my personal opinion, I think small classes, and particularly small schools (but as long as that doesn't mean a small classroom) are important for children with ASDs. I went through school without a diagnosis and often moved schools, but I know that the schools I did better in were smaller schools with class sizes between 15 - 20. Of course, even if you have a small class, this isn't going to compensate for lack of understanding.

I have also previously been a primary school teacher for 5 years in three different schools, offering different class-sizes, both mainstream and private. I would say that all the children, regardless of SEN, did better in small classes, but this could well be more about the school than anything else. Of course this all comes back to the issue of funding, which you don't want to get me started on. With small classes, there's more individual attention, it's harder for a child who isn't outwardly disruptive to be ignored because there are other children who outwardly appear more demanding of attention, etc. However, as much as class size, there are issues with teaching methods and seating arrangements. Where does your daughter sit in class? If I was her teacher I would ask her where she felt most comfortable, but also ensuring, in discussion with her so she knew exactly why we'd chosen that place, and making sure that for most of the school day she sat in the same place and had everything she needed to hand (this would also include having a dedicated carpet 'spot' and training the rest of the class to know that this is x's 'spot' and no-one else sits there). I don't know if sensory issues are a problem for your daughter - if so, this needs to be taken into account (she should be facing the board directly, not side-on as many grouping arrangements give) and careful placement could ensure that movement around her is kept to a minimum (do other children have to walk beside/around/behind her to get to the books, door, coats etc?)

Hope this is some help,

Mumble.

My 5 yr HF daughter is in a mainstream class but my gut feeling is that one of the problems is the class size, which is in the upper twenties with four special needs kids.

Does anyone out there have an opinion on this based on their own experience?

Hi frazzled,

Speaking as parent A/S 17 and ASD LSA small classes make a big difference. I support a yr 7 class of 13 last year with 3 girls with ASD's which this year in year 8 has become a class of 30.

Class of 13 - everyone new all the girls names.

a lot less distractions

class teacher could spend more time with individual pupils

Class of 30 - My A/S girls don't know all of the girls names especially as we have two Harriet's, two

Jessica's and Katy +Katie.

constant back ground talking

teacher can't get to talk individually to everyone in the 45minute lesson

Julieann

Hello

My son goes to a autistic school. There are 4 boys in his class (including him). One teacher, a nursery nurse and a classroom assistant. For my son, this structure has been very important to him. He is coming on leaps and bounds. The difference in him since he went to this school - has been amazing. Took him a long time to settle but the school are now seeing what he is capable of.

Forbsay