Sign in to follow this  
KateBall

Starting Senior School

I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this. My son is currently undiagnosed - but I know he is on the spectrum somewhere - they say he isn't but he behaves as if he is (huh??) They have diagnosed him with a "communication disorder" . Anyway the point I want to know is this.

He will start senior school in 2 years time. It took us 2 to 3 years to get a non diagnosis! So do I start again now (i.e. second opinion etc) so I can be prepared when the senior school start to have trouble with him. This anyway is probably easier said than done cos I think their basis of dx was flawed and no point in following the same procedure. I could easily end up in the same position now with no dx.

At the moment he is being fairly well managed by the junior school so therefore I'm not that bothered to have a dx label for any other reason. I only did it to start with to get the school to realise his problems more than I thought they did - and eventually they did anyway. The problem with him is that it takes time to realise what he is like so I'm thinking the senior school will not tolerate his behaviour in the meantime and will probably think he's just being badly behaved and parented and boot him out (even his present teaching staff have thought this a possibility).

OR should I be trying to get him statemented. He does get funding - SEND+

OR should I just try and sus out the attitude of the senior school now and whether they are likely to understand the nature of "communication disorder" and that it makes him behave and therefore he should be treated as if he is on the spectrum - without me having to get any further dx. If they too are going to be supportive then there's no point in doing anything - is there?? Has anyone ever done that - approached the senior school - 2 years in advance? Does that make me look neurotic?

I've got a meeting at school tomorrow to discuss this and a review. I am a little worried they might also be about to suggest they keep him back a year. My daughter says don't let them because he'll end up being bullied and teased even more than he is at times now.

hmmmmm.....i would make an appointment to go see the senco of the senior school that he is likely to go to...stuff it if they think you are a bit neurotic, arent we all a bit like that anyway with our lovely kids?! :P

as for being held back, is he very behind academically?

My son started senior school in Sept 06 and was not dx until Jan this year, I did however contact his new school as soon as he was offered a place to meet with his Head of Year and explain how my son behaves (social anxiety) they were really helpful and even offered a test they could do to evaluate ASD's. Whilst they tried to help (inconsistently) without a dx I did tend to feel that they saw me as an over protective neurotic Mother, but you have to over come these feelings and go with your heart no one knows your child better than you. Anyway since dx things have improved. My advice to you is to arrange a meeting with Head Of Year 7 and Head of SEN and explain your concerns and in turn you can ask what support they can provide your son. Good luck.

Clare x

as for being held back, is he very behind academically?

He undoubtedly is but I shall get an update on the extent tomorrow. One of his main problems at the moment is his inability to write very well. Flexible fingers don't help! It seems a good deal of his education is 1:1 in the classroom

no one knows your child better than you. Anyway since dx things have improved. My advice to you is to arrange a meeting with Head Of Year 7 and Head of SEN and explain your concerns and in turn you can ask what support they can provide your son. Good luck.

Clare x

How true is this.

Yes I think I will ask to see head of year 7 (hadn't thought of that) and SENCO. I'll see what his teachers think about approaching them now. I don't want to leave it too late as if I don't like what they say then I'll have to go find another school or get a better dx that they'll have to work to.

It really helps airing it here first.

I've moved it to Education - no problem. :)

Just my personal opinion - I think it would be a good idea to try and get a statement, which would be less of a battle with a proper dx.

Even if you visit the secondary school now and like what you see, schools can change a lot in two years, and even more during the time your son will be there. Staff come and go. A statement is the only way to guarantee that the support stays in place.

K x

I've moved it to Education - no problem. :)

Just my personal opinion - I think it would be a good idea to try and get a statement, which would be less of a battle with a proper dx.

Even if you visit the secondary school now and like what you see, schools can change a lot in two years, and even more during the time your son will be there. Staff come and go. A statement is the only way to guarantee that the support stays in place.

K x

Thanks - I think you might be right. I'll do a check on here about statementing as I haven't a clue where to start.

Hi.We started looking at secondary schools this year.Ben is in year 4 however our NT son is in year 6.We worked on the basis that we would like the boys to remain at the same school.Hence we began to ask about provision for Asperger Syndrome this time round.Our Parent Partnership recommends that parents begin to look at schools when children are in year 5 anyway-the transition meetings are conducted early I think so forward planning is needed.Also it is easier to visit during open events than planning seperate visits-these are yearly.So I think you are being realistic.Karen.

Hi again.I don't think the school would be able to keep a child back a year-if they try I would kick up a fuss.It will lead to increased isolation as having to make friends with a new class is difficult for our children.

I think that to request a Statutary Assessment would be worth thinking about.If you delay then it will be dificult to get anything in place in time to plan for secondary school-it took us an Accademic year to get a Statement.

There has been a lot of good info posted in the education section re looking at secondary schools during the last couple of weeks.It would be worth having a look at the suggestions in education as well.-See transition to secondary school questions to ask.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Kate,

What I did was speak to his teachers at Primary school first with my concerns and they contacted his new school for me and arranged an appointment. They realised the importance of a smooth transision for my son into secondary school, its still hard and he hates school but least the staff know him and his problems and try to support both him and I on a daily basis. It was strange, for the first 6 weeks he went to school quite happily on the bus and never had a day off, but since then its been down hill. As I said above since dx in Jan the school have started taking me seriously again and things are improving. Good luck Clare x

Hi, J is in year 5 also and I have found one school that could be a possibilty but its a residential, so I am also looking at some local mainstream senior schools in my area.

I am going to be looking at what support and services are avialable to children with SEN.

J will struggle with a lot of things in high school so I have made a list of the main difficulties and handing it in to the senco of the school that could be a choice to see what support they could offer?

After I get the information and sen codes of the schools policies then I am comparing the different support been offered and go with the one that will support J the best.

New legislation for SEN pupils now means that a child doesnt nessarily need to have a diagnosis to have their needs met, if they are having difficulties in certain areas then the school has to meet that need.

IPSEA will have further support to help you get more information on ensuring the school meets the childs needs, also about applying for an assessment and look into a educational psychologist report.

You could ask your GP to refer him for a full Autistic Spectrum Assessment.

JsMum

Hi.We applied for a Statutary Assessment at the same time as assessments for a Dx were being done.As Jsmum has said the stat assessment should be to identify the needs a child has with regard to learning and so should not be based just on a Dx anyway.Karen.

Ok well I had the meeting at his current school yesterday. Have been advised that very unlikely to get a Statement and I expect I'll be putting myself through it for nothing. His needs are being met on the whole although the school would like more funding they don't think they'll get it cos not enough money so it does make life difficult for them - but he is making progress. Slow progress. Anyway have decided to visit the secondary schools and talk to them to see what sort of attitude they have about behavioural issues that will undoubtedly crop up. Current school deal with these quite well - tolerate and deal with him with understanding rather than punishment. I just want the senior school to do the same because I know the change will lead to more instances. Thanks for all advice.