Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Problems getting DS dressed

This morning i asked my DS 11 to get dressed, he sat there in the nude and refused and threw an almighty strop! I said if he didn't get dressed i'd take away his Dr Who figures until he did. He then attacked me pinching and biting my arm and breaking the skin.

The background is we have been babying him too much, we dress him and shower him (he still wets the bed). With high school looming i thought he has to become more independant. Anybody else having this problem? Everything is a battle with him :crying:

Hi,

I sympathise with you......we used to have this problem. Instead of sounding negative with the 'if you don't do it i will take such and such away' we turned it into a positive. We basically said to him if you get ready 1st time we ask then there is time for tv before school.

He happily accepted this and now does it most mornings 1st time.

Good luck with your quest >:D<<'>

Thanks TMF. I do say he can go on the PC if he gets ready, he's just so hyper in the mornings, i might try something else like a chocolate or something..

Your welcome,

I know this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it certainly worked this end. Sometimes i think things get complacent and the same bargaining tool doesn't always work and you then have to rethink a different statedgy.

My ds is typical of this, just when i think i can confidently handle his AS, he goes and changes and we have to think of new ways to turn it around again! :wacko::wacko:

Good luck.

How about checklists for what he has to do to get ready? Sometimes the instruction 'get ready for school' is too big and vague and needs to be broken down into smaller tasks, eg take off pyjamas, put on underwear, brush teeth etc. J has a checklist for several everyday tasks but at eight he still needs a lot of guidance to refer to them, but the principal is there and he's now more aware of what's expected of him at certain times. I think it's also worth bearing in mind that with our children it can take months for an idea to register, so the same applies for a new task.

Good luck.

Karen

x