Flora

Multi-agency meeting arranged

The child psych from CAMHS has arranged for a meeting at the school, inviting the SENCO, Special Needs Manager, Autism Outreach teacher, GP, and myself, to take place on the 21st March. The point of the meeting is so that the psych can explain why mainstream isn't working and to suggest that a stat assessment is carried out.

Bill has had quite alot of time off school due to a mixture of genuine illness and stress, depression and anxiety. I discussed all of this with the SENCO last week.

Today I received a letter from the school outlining their concerns that his attendence is below 80% and that they have informed the 'Educational Welfare Social Worker' :tearful: This is worrying.... and a bit irritating considering I have been in regular contact with the special needs team about his attendence and state of health.

Flora X

i had this a couple of months ago. Just tell ew why he has had so much time off and the school knew about this and a multi agency meeting has been arranged and you will discuss this in the meeting prehaps will be a good thing that the have brought ew in to it

Edited by rach04

Hi Flora,

It sounds as though the school are covering themselves by talking to the EWO. I can't remember if you have previously asked your GP/paed to write any letters to the school re: Bill's stress/depression/anxiety :unsure: . If you do have any copies or can get your GP/paed to give you copies that they may have, take them along to the meeting. At a meeting we had an old school denied any knowledge that any letters existed until I pulled them out of a big folder for them to see, all CC'd to the school :thumbs: .

Hope the meeting goes really well. It sounds like you have a really good child psych :thumbs: .

Annie xx

Edited by annie

Hiya flozza >:D<<'>

Yes, I think annie and rachel have hit the nail on the head... bit of self protective posturing on behalf of the school 'cos they're neervous the meeting will reflect badly on their support strategies...

I think it's probably very transparent gainsaying, and the other professionals will see straight through it (even if they don't acknowledge that openly - which they won't!)

The multidisciplinary sounds like a very positive step, so just dot your i's cross your t's and go for it!

L&P

BD :D

Please dont worry too much about the educational welfare officer, they arent there to lynch you but to help and are there to support the child not the school.

the school however does have a duty to inform the EWO if a childs attendance drops below a certain level (our LEA states 85%). if you dont think that mainstream is suitable then the EWO is one person who could help

Hi Flora,

Our son's mainstream school involved the EWO after Nat became a school refuser.

I admit I was very uptight about the meeting, but she turned out to be a good person to have on our side and actually got the ball rolling for Nat to go to an interim education centre.