have read through your thread very interesting

the lady from dore centre will be here soon so im

going to go through the presentation with her and see what

I think hopefully my daughter will sit in with us and give us her

opinion as she is 16 this year and does not always cooporate when

it comes to discussing these things

Thanks again Tracey

had lady from dore centre this afternoon

she thinks from tests given my daughters main problem is dyslexia which is something i didnt

think she had plus some adhd traits no mention of asd

The dore programme takes approx 12 months in all and costs just under 2 grand

with apparently really good results

all to do with underdeveloped cerebellum they use certain brain exercises (different for each child)

looking into it more now but i think i will go ahead paying by monthly installments

If theres something out there that has a good chance of working i have to try it

anyone with any knowledge on this would be greatfully recieved

TRACEY

Tracey, is this similar to Brain Gym do you know, it sounds similar? We tried a course of brain gym a few years ago and didn't find that it helped really. My lad wasn't very cooperative, though, although he did have a go. We had exercises that we had to do every day and he met with the instructor every week. I thought it was worth trying, but didn't notice any long-term benefits.

Good luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Try looking up developmental dyspraxia - exercises

Won't cost you anything

Exercises for cerebellar and automaticity dysfunction do help, but before proceeding - get biochemistry, vision and hearing sorted. Praxis problems are often consequential on spatial perception difficulties - these require

1 visual processing to be stable

2 vestibular processing to be appropriate

3 proprioceptive knowledge

4 automaticity programming - this is dependent on all the above working properly and exercises do NOT sort it out - its a bit like learning to hop with a broken leg - you can get better, but it is better to mend the break first.

Hi Tracey -

I'll admit straight away I know nothing of the DORE programme, so the following is just general advice regarding any intervention/therapy...

One thing I would be asking in your situation is what the woman's credentials are for making the diagnosis she has, and what sort of medical accreditation there is for the tests she applied? Bearing in mind that trained Ed Psychs/Paediatricians often need repeated meetings/assessments to arrive at a dx this does seem a bit casual. I would also be a little concerned at her not commenting on ASD, if this is your daughters official dx(?). Was she suggesting the professionals involved have got it wrong, or is it that DORE doesn't recognise ASD's? I can't think of any reason why she wouldn't be happy to answer those questions/provide evidence of her qualifications - they seem perfectly natural to me considering the outlay involved...

While I agree with you in principal about trying anything that might help for your daughter, I would qualify that with the consideration that there are/have been all sorts of programmes suggested as 'cures' for autism (and will undoubtedly be many more), but no solid evidence to support any of those claims. It is certainly true that many interventions can help with certain behaviours and problems associated with autism, but, as Ian points out, most of those focus on intensive variations of existing strategies which you can read up and practice for free.

Sorry if that sounds cynical or is discouraging... As I said above - I'm certainly not commenting on DORES or any other programme specifically, just highlighting some of the questions I'd be asking in a situation like your own. whatever you decide to do, I hope it is helpful for you both

L&P

BD :D

dont know anything about this brain gym but will look into it

my friend was telling me about a game called brain game or something advertised

on tv by chris tarrent my daughter said theres a nintendo ds game called

brain somethingdont know if its the same thing

lady from dore centre rung and said i cannot pay in installments has to be

paid in full shes going to send me a dvd and more information so its giving me time

to think about it

am also wondering if it is dyslexia she has and how i would go about getting

a test done for this although at 15 its never been picked up

Tracey

dont waste your money. there are many like this about and i was told by a good friend of mine who happens to be a pead that they are no different to things they recommend schools to use or that you can buy for fraction of the cost in pc world or sn shops

Hi tracey,

This is only my personal opinion, and how you spend your money is up to you, of course! I'd be very wary of parting with such a large amount of cash before I'd thoroughly investigated the effectiveness of a programme, ideally by talking to others who have direct experience of it or to other professionals who can give an unbiased opinion. Take your time and don't be rushed into signing anything.

An LEA educational psychologist can test for dyslexia, or you can go for a private assessment. Here are the details of a national charity Dyslexia Action where you can get further advice and information. They offer assessments, and I see they also offer a free half hour appointment to discuss your child's difficulties before committing to a full assessment.

K x

Hi Tracey,

I agree with everybody's comments. Personally, I'd be very wary of paying �2000 for any therapy if I hadn't seen evidence myself or it hadn't been recommended by a medical practitioner that knew my son's difficulties.

Kathryn's suggestion of contacting Dyslexia Action would be a good idea. At least then you would be able to get/not get a diagnosis whatever the case may be, and would know which direction to follow depending the outcome.

Annie

xx

have just sent message to dyslexia action regarding assessment

am still looking into dore programme as i feel i dont want to miss out on something

which could help my daughter but lots of research to do also its a long way to travel

back and forth to sheffield as i dont drive

also just bought the brain game for nintendo ds as friend said it may help

oxgirl mentioned the brain gym can anyone give any info on this

im in the lincolnshire area

Thanks all Tracey