Sign in to follow this  
hev

whats a non maintained school?

been looking at residential schools online,what is a non maintained school?there are a few schools in sussex way which seem to cater for steve,why is it hard for him to get in one?is it the places are not available?was thinking of emailing the schools and asking if they got any spaces or does it not work like that?

it might be worth phoning and asking what their placements are etc and asking for information to be sent on the school. I am not sure what a non maintained school is could it be it is not a govenment run school. that is something you could ask when you phone.

sorry not much help

opheila

hi there a non maintained school is a private school. The lea will have to agree to fund Steves palcement there. They can range from �15000 upwards a term. hope this helps

Hi hev - that's pretty much it -

a 'maintained' school is one funded by the Local Authority... non-maintained means private and/or 'out of area' (i.e. not maintained by YOUR local authority) I think...

The problem you run into with Sussex is it's out of county, so for S to attend there the Kent LA have to agree to fund him... if they find a placement in a maintained Kent school it's already covered, without effecting their budgets (other than for 'special contingency funding' to meet additional needs, which they'd have to pay on top in either/or case)...

Hope that helps.

Thought they had it all sussed with that residential place? :unsure:

L&P

BD :D

we're finding it hard to find a placement too.

I've been trawling the net and tbh if I find a school that looks remotely okay I'll just ring and ask to speak to either the head of the admissions person. And one of the first things I've asked if if they have a place or not. If yes, then I'll pursue with more questions, if not then I move on. I have no idea if my LEA will fund any out of area schools, they did consider one but now want to stay within county at a totally inappropriate school, as there is no ASD school within Devon. *sigh*

keeping on looking tho'

keeping my fingers crossed you find somewhere too :)