Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra

worry about flying

Hi all,

We're going to America end of may, very exciting,

But I'm so worried about how M (9 ADHD & HFA) is going to be at the airport

with the noise and waiting around, he's not good at waiting and of course

on the flight, he's funny about food and drink, about smells and certain noises,

We don't normally do holidays as its all too much hassle, but this is being

paid for by someone and all we need is spending money, too good to turn down.

any advice would be great...Thanks in advance

Id contact the airport/airline and explaine that you are going to be flying with special needs kids.you never know they might just might make special provision such as you being able to arrive later maybe and go straight to the front of the cue to check in and then be on youre way......its worth a try surely.

I am in a simular situation myself as I am meant to be flying to Greece with college and Poland with Scouts. I am terrible at airports hence not flying for 3 years! I am aware that many airports do allow extra boarding early and late. Although this does not suit me as I am travlling in groups of 67 (collge) and 40 (Scouts). So this is not going to help me!

You can get sleepy drugs which did seem to help a lil from the doctor which mede me less aware of what was going on around although I was asking everyon in the airport where there were flying to as well as wanting to know every little detail about the plane, airport and plane company! :whistle::oops: And who better to ask the airport staff!

My mum was also questioned as I looked fairly shifty going through customs and was told off for making to much noise!

Any questions PM!

Also, I am taking Ear Plugs after many suggestions on another topic

Hi,

We have flown to the states several times with our son who is severely autistic and we have always managed to just about survive. My son loves the smell of lavender and I take a small bottle of lavender oil and baby wipes for himt o sniff. Its calming and cuts out the smells on board. I also have a bag of goodies, small sweets,comics, books and a selection of cheap toys from Woolies. I take off his shoes and massage his feet (more oil!). Im usually a frazzled speck by the time we land but its worthit

Are you flying with Virgin? They have a wonderful website and you can see which fims are showing/meals etc. You can also check in on line which saves all that airport waiting.

Just being nosey but where are you going?

Loraine

Hi lorryw, we're going to Missouri, staying with friends, we're flying with American Airlines,

am so excited but nervous, toys and sweets are a good Idea, how does that

work now with the tightened hand luggage rules, how does your son cope with waiting,

at the airport and on the plane? thanks for the ideas xxxx

Take a look at www.americanairlines.co.uk and have a look around . They have a telephone number and email address for questions and queries. They will also be able to provide details of what can be carried on board, they all seem to have different rules

We ahve only ever flown with Virgin who have a facility where all special needs are boarded first. Im not sure if AA does the same but its worth a look.

good luck

We are about to travel to america next week. Its the third time weve been . I ring the airline in advance and explian Kofi is asd they class his buggy as a wheel chair so we can keep it until we board and its bought to the plane when we get off which is a god send as i travel alone with him and wouldnt beable to get the case if he wasnt strapped in the buggy. We also pre board the plane so he is settled in his seat before the mad rush .We travel with virgin to the states but other airlines have done the same when weve traveled in europe . Have a great trip :thumbs:

Hi

18 mths ago we travelled to Turkey with severely autistic son (then 4) and nt 5yr old. I lost sleep over it and almost cancelled loads of times. In the end he slept for nearly all of it (both ways) and when awake he was fine if a little hyper. I kept taking him to toilet as well as was trying to train him at the time. Met another family who had an autistic daughter and we helped each other. We were allowed to keep major buggy til last minute and allowed to board first. I arranged this beforehand by ringing airline

Good luck!!

Elun xx

Hi,

The best thing you can do is... Preparation, preparation, preparation...... your child, and you, can't be too prepared for your flight. Don't leave anything to chance; ring the air lines, take food you know they like, books, games.... drugs??? not kidding here, if your son isn't on melatonin or anything... see if your GP or consultant can prescribe something before hand for the flight.

Years ago, when my son was 3, we flew out to California to live for two years. I didn't prepare him any more than to tell him about it and talk about it before hand; my youngest child was 8 months old and I did more prepration for him than for Bill. He was so freaked out on the flight he became very ill. To cut a long story short... he 'dropped his platelets' (red blood cells) through shock and ended up covered in tiny bruises all over his body and needed treatment in hospital. Was very scary..

Just prepare your child as much as possible for the experience.... even to the point of being padantic.

Hope you have a fab holiday.

Flora X

I found ear defenders, gameboy and portable dvd player helped. Ringing the airline is a good idea as many will try to help either with booking appropriate seats, letting you on first. etc.

One thing we didn't do (and boy do I wish we had) was explaining beforehand that there were to be absolutely NO mention of bombs, terrorists, etc.

Good luck!

Barefoot