Sign in to follow this  
Bard

Sixth Sense lesson

Has anyone heard of this?

It seems to be a Secondary school thing, a lesson for an NT class that has an ASD child/ren. It is supposed to help develop empathy amongst the class for ASD differences.

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi,

As far as I know the 'sixth' sense, is social sense. All it seems to me is a way of informing other childern about what ASDs are. I found this:

"Carol Gray's Sixth Sense Program was developed to educate mainstream students about autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and the sixth or 'social sense' . . . Results showed that the AS student's peers expressed greater understanding and acceptance of his social-communication impairment. Initially there was an increase in the number of playground social interactions but, over time, these interactions subsided, justifying periodic refresher lessons. This study shows that the Sixth Sense Program can aid children with ASD and their peers."

It's a Carol Gray thing - same person as does social stories. There's a book if you're interested.

Mumble.

Edited by Mumble