Sign in to follow this  
hev

a new diagnosis?

steve was dx when he was about 8 with aspergers/adhd,now im not sure if hes got these,hes got something,im wondering if its the epilepsy causing the behaviours,hes on one tablet a day and the difference in his behaviours are amazing but then im thinking is it cos hes out of school now,mostly me and him all the time which he loves and the epilepsy is throwing me so im confused.

you know the behaviours he has from my posts,he also has rapid blinking when stressed,he no longer has obsessions,he is very loud and gets stressed very easily,should i worry about the dx or just deal with it all day by day?im wondering if one epileptic tab a day could cause such a turnaround then i think is it cos im calmer as well?i dont know anymore,im all muddled up :rolleyes: maybe cos hes got a dx of epilepsy now im just trying to come to terms with it

It's difficult. Epilepsy and ASD can look so similar (we are struggling with this) but also as he has just started the meds they will be having a sedative effect (this should wear off sadly!) so he may be calmer, less anxious etc.

Have you looked at this site? NSE forum

I found out loads about epilepsy from this site and they are very friendly.

A x

thankyou aro i was googling for ages last night looking for a site like this,couldnt find one!!thankyou

Guest Lya of the Nox

i think that epilepsy and asd can go hand in hand

i do remember them wanting to do a scan on dd, and me laughin at them managin it

take time to come to terms with all this,

and we arange something soon, for nice cuppa

x

My son does not have epilepsy, but he did take Tegretol (an epilepsy med) for 2 years when he was 10-12years old. The med has a side effect of evening out mood swings, and it did work for my son.

Karen

Hev, a lot of epilepsy medicines also have a mood stabilising/antidepressant effect. It might be that the drug is stabilising his mood swings, or acting as an antidepressant (if he has trouble expressing emotions, depression could well present as irritability or anger), and that is affecting other behaviours.

I think you might be best waiting to see how things settle down with the new medication, and the epilepsy, before reconsidering his diagnosis.

I am so glad this is helping - and not just because I was one of those saying "Look this really sounds like Epilepsy" when you first started posting about these problems. It sounds like you have your lovely son back >:D<<'>

The usual drug to start on is Epilim, it can "zonk" you out till you get used to it apparently. My dd has had Tegretol added and that IS a mood stabilizer (used in Bi-polar etc) I want dd to remain on this and phase out the Epilim, however the initial changes in the first month have slipped back a fair bit, but I think it does still help a bit with her anxiety. I don't know what your son is on Hev, but the forum (and main site) that I posted will have info and personal experiences for all the meds used. ;)

A x