Sign in to follow this  
witsend

don't count your chickens!

Hi sat here really down in the dumps :( . Just when I thought school thing was sorted now it's not! Basically after choosing new school for ds, head said he can start staright away, woman from LEA just rang to say it will all take much longer than we were told. She said becasue they have already funded place at sons present school until end of term (July) they are not supposed to then fund another place at new school until then! :wacko:

The problem is at the end of last week the man from LEA told me son could transfer very soon (a week or two at most once paperwork and transport got sorted) so obviously we were counting on this being the case. Son who has just had enough at present school did not attend on Friday or today. The woman who rang today is asking me to persuade him to go back, I told her no way will he go back until July after expecting to move in a week, she said hopefully it could be sorted earlkier than July but not as soon as two weeks! :wacko:

Really don't know what to do now, can probably 'make' son go back to this school for a while but don't know how long for, plus to be really honest I don't want him to go back becasue he's having such a miserable time and I know the school is having a negative influence on him, but then again nor do I want him to be out of school altogether and getting used to that! :wacko::wacko:

If I thought keeping him off school altogether would make LEA speed it all up then I probably would do that but I don't know if it actually does work like that, but I do get the feeling that the longer he attends present school the longer they will take sorting out transfer to new school.

My brain is aching with it all, don't know which way to turn and after the elation of finding another school at last and getting him a place there just feel so down now it's not straightforward. :crying:

Any advice gratefully accepted here.

Luv Witsend.

Do you have anything in writing from the first man you spoke to?

Even if you didnt the point is you had a verbal agreement to start at the new school. It really isnt your problem that the lea are being pedantic regarding funding.

I would write to the guy you spoke to and say that x will not be staying in his present school and your intention is to hold the lea to its original agreement. It maybe that getting a solicitors letter to do this would be money well spent?

If not you will be complaining and ask for details of their complains procedure.

I thought funding for schools ran from april, either way the lea in our area always say there will be winners and loosers.

The lea is trying it on and to save some money, dont play theirgame. If you keep your son off as the old school is causing him problems it will show badly on his attendance records, and why should it when its the leas trying to save money!

Thanks pp, no I don't have anything in writing and the first man I spoke to (the one who has dealt with it all so far) is now off work for an operation, and will be off for the next 6 weeks. Just had an awful evening with ds now he knows the situation, he just cant cope with it all :crying: .

He agreed to go to school tomorrow earlier on and since then has been edgy and irratible and in tears, just so horrible seeing him like this and it's affecting the whole family. Think I'm going to end up marching down to the LEA and having a showdown - just cant go on like this much longer.

Luv Witsend.

Are both schools LEA schools? If so, I can't see why funding should be an issue (not for you anyway - let the LEA/schools sort it out afterwards). I would call the LEA and apply pressure. I would be tempted not to send your son back to the school (at least for a week or two). If no joy, send a letter to your MP (don't tell your LEA you are doing this) explaining what you were told and the effect it is having on your son - you will probably find it will then be sorted very quickly! :whistle:

Karen

Sorry to hear this Witsend: I thought it was all sorted. :wallbash: It seems crazy to me - after all, if you move house and change schools, you don't have to wait till the next school year, or even term, to attend the new school!

It must be horrible seeing your son like this and I'm inclined to agree - the longer he stays at the old school, the more the LEA will stall. But only you can decide when enough is enough. I agree with the others - the bureaucracy isn't your problem - keep on at the LEA until they sort this out.

>:D<<'>

K x

Hi - thanks for the replies - well after stewing all day at work on the matter and waging war in my head on the LEA I got a call when I got in from woman who called yesterday and she said all they have to do is sort out official offer from new school (not a prob) and transport (shoudn't take too long) and he can move schools!! :unsure: I asked if the funding was no longer a big issue after what she'd said yesterday and she said no they were going to work round it!! :blink: Can't beleive the change in attitude since yesterday - no idea what's precipitated it but obviously am chuffed. Still going to take 2/3 weeks to sort (I'm hoping 2 not 3 :pray: ) but that's a lot better than we thought now. :)

Ds went to school today and will try and encourage him to keep going now I know somethings happening.

Both schools are independant and I know LEA woman said she'd spoken to current school and they were going to "co-operate" so maybe they've agreed to refund some fees money or something? Anyway don't know and daren't ask too much just pleased some progress has been made without the expected battle! ;)

Cheers again - Luv Witsend.

It is probably because the schools are independent. Usually then, the LEA has to pay each term, so they have proabably already paid for the Summer term at one school (they probably are required to give notice to quit too), and they don't want to pay again for another school. Glad it has been sorted now.

Karen