kate26

Explaining autism to my child

Hi, I am completly new to forums but I need some advice and do not know where else to ask.

My 8 year old daughter has autism, she is in a mainstream school with a learning support assistant. She has recently started to query why she has a helper with her, and her friends dont have helpers.

I know I need to explain to her about her having autism, but I do not know where to start. I do not want to upset or confuse her but I really feel I need to tell her. Does anyone have any advice please

Welcome to the forum, Kate :)

I'm afraid I can't recommend any actual books, as my son is nearly 17, but have you had a look at the NAS booklist? I am sure they will have some appropriate books you could look at together.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some actual book titles, or other ideas.

I'm from Hertfordshire, too!

Bid :D

Hi and welcome >:D<<'>

I'm from the same area too.

Have you visited the library? They have a section on situations/disabilities. They are books designed for children but they are not in the childrens library (in our library they are with the childcare section.) Hertfordshire County Council produced a set of books for children with autism or children that know someone with autism. I borrowed a book called I have Autism, and although I felt it was more written for a child who knew someone that had autism, it did cover the different issues that autistic kids have written very simply. I didn't need the book in the end, I had borrowed it in case M asked any questions after his assessment. It would certainly be a good idea to have a look at your local library.

mum22boys

Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forum from another Hertfordshire - ite! :)

This topic has come up quite a few times, I think.

Have a look at this thread. You 'll see you're not alone in this, and there are several book recommendations here.

Hope it helps

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hi

Tricky question to answer without knowing anything about her level of understanding or ability...but, I went to see Tony Attwood this week and he explained how to expain it really well. I am not sure if what he said will be in his latest book (havent got mine yet), but I will try to explain it briefly.

He said that when explaining to anyone , he would sit a few people round, probably family members and perhaps start everyone talking about mum. He would get a piece of paper and get everyone to think about mums strengths and weaknesses.

for example

good cook shouts too much

time keeper makes us do things

(oops struggling)! (oops struggling)!

then look at dad/brother/sister

then look at dx child

Their list might bring out a certain list of characteristics. He said that you could then explain to the child that although their strengths and weaknesses were different to the other family members, there are other people who would share these characteristics. And that because there was a group of people who had these similar characteristics, scientists like to give this group of people a name. In the case of aspergers, this name was the name of the first person who recognised this group of characteristics.

There is nothing wrong with people like this, they are just different, their strengths can carry them far (give examples of famous people............................)

Well that's about as clear as mud now then?????

Probably best look out for a book!!

Incidentally though - his presentation was awesome. To listen to someone with such knowledge and insight. To hear someone talking a language that most people dont understand. He is inspiring and I wouldn't hesitate to book to hear him talk again.

Hope it goes well for you

Phoebe

Hi Kate 26,

I'm also from Hertfordshire :groupwave:

I have a small paperback book (6x4 inches), 46 pages. It is called Finding Out about Asperger's syndrome, High functioning Autism and PDD - author Gunilla Gerland was diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome several years ago. It is published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers.

I quote from back page:

" Gunilla's book should be read by all young people who recieve a diagnosis of

Asperger's syndrome,PDD or High Functioning Autism. It can also be read by their

peers in school, siblings and other children with whom they have contact.Adults

may read it too, the better to understand the person with autism or Asperger's syndrome".

Its a very basic book with not too much print on each page. Hope this is helpful.

Julieann

Hi Kate

Lots of good advice on here & theres another similar thread tonight too, so wont add - just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone for your good advice,

I will definately try checking out the reading material and I found looking at the thread was most helpful.

Mainly it was just nice to know that there are other people out there in the same position as you. Having my daughter in a mainstream school has worked out well for her, but I do sometimes miss not having anyone to talk to who has similar concerns as me.

Thanks again