Sign in to follow this  
hev

antidepressents or walking?

i was watching news yesterday and they said more people are now on anti ds than in any other years but mind(i think)said walking is as effective as antids.

when my husband left,i was rock bottom and i went for long walks every single day and ive always said thats what got me through it all but i would be scared to try that now as i think im reliant on my tablets

Good question.

Vicious circle im guessing....

I've used walking/excersise as a way to get through difficult times - and i've no doubt it helps. It improves your self-worth and well-being as well as the old cliche of 'blowing the cobwebs away'.

Trying to strike a balance is probably the key. But when i'm very depressed i cannot bring myself to answer the phone - never mind go out for a walk. When in that mindset it would undoubtedly help to get out for a while - but when you are that depressed - actually getting out can seem like an impossible task :( ................ (and then comes the guilt for not being able to go out........ :wallbash:) . These last couple of years have been very, very difficult for me - ongoing months of steriods have taken there toll, putting on weight and affecting my sleep, and i've absolutely no doubt that if i felt more like 'me' i would be able to pick myself up a lot quicker.............

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

i was thinking the other day and wondering if the real ME will ever come back again :crying:

i was thinking the other day and wondering if the real ME will ever come back again :crying:

I don't even know who ME is anymore. :crying:

Hev, I've been struggling with depression for a long, long time now and I've been resisting going on anti d's. I do lots of running and I would def. recommend brisk walking and maybe progressing to gentle jogging as a way of seeing you through stressful times.

Perhaps you could start with the exercise programme and then in a while gently start to decrease the meds and see how you go?

Good luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

:tearful::crying::tearful::crying:

Gawd love - we are in serious need of some alcohol!!!!!! :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Shall we start the cheer up Hev n Smiley fund?......... All proceeds going to Baileys.... :devil: And cr*ppy dance music :dance:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

yeah i like the idea of that fund :thumbs::thumbs:

i bet baddad will give generously,he hates me being upset,he told me once he would do ANYTHING to cheer me up :o:devil::devil::devil:

im asking for a large battered sausage as well :eat::lol::lol:

You're a one you are, can't see to post because I'm crying with laughter...

Does Baddad have a large battered sausage??

I think exercise is very important if you are lingering towards depression, or even up to moderately depressed. It can probably help in severe depression too but I dont think its enough on its own.

I do karate twice a week, go running once a week and do circuit training once a week. Its certainly helped me no end as I had quite severe post natal depression after my daughter was born, bordering on post natal psychosis. I went on meds which helped, I was going through the fight to get my son in an ASD school at the time so things were really tough. But its only since exercising that things have really picked up.

Exercising releases endorphins, the feel good hormone and it does work. Sometimes I'm having a really crappy day, I will feel lethargic, tired and really dont want to go to karate, but I make myself and I always feel better for it afterwards, it really lifts my mood. Not only that but punching the ###### out of a punch bag does wonders for frustration LOL!

Taking up exercise is the best thing that I have ever done.

Sarah

diamondmask i was seriously thinking of trying karate,i know few people who do it and they love it

You're a one you are, can't see to post because I'm crying with laughter...

Does Baddad have a large battered sausage??

baddad ignores my posts sometimes as i think i get on his nerves :lol::lol:

im not gonna mention battered sausages any more,he is a moderator after all and i dont want to upset him :shame::shame::shame: as everyone knows i wouldnt dream of upsetting him :lol::lol::lol:

Oh dear, I would hate to upset him...

I'm afraid my low sense of humour came from spending my day in a crowded classroom full of children, mostly boys, who have no filter between their brains and their mouths.

I have to stay straight-faced from 8-5, so after hours I can become a little crazed.

Apologies for lowering the tone everyone!

Exercise is wonderful for stress relief, I do Tai Chi, walking and gardening and it helps a great deal with life in general.

Oh dear, I would hate to upset him...

I'm afraid my low sense of humour came from spending my day in a crowded classroom full of children, mostly boys, who have no filter between their brains and their mouths.

I have to stay straight-faced from 8-5, so after hours I can become a little crazed.

Apologies for lowering the tone everyone!

talking about lowering the tone,take a look at smileys posts,pure smut :o;)

i only join in to be polite :whistle::whistle:

diamondmask i was seriously thinking of trying karate,i know few people who do it and they love it

Give it a go Hev. I love it, I've been doing it for 2 years now and its a great stress relief. My son (HFA +++) does it too, he has been doing it for 3 years now and to say he has lots of severe challenging behaviour, if he behaved as well at home and school as he does at Karate (and he is the worst behaved in the class!) he would have no problems whatsoever! He is purple belt now, going for brown soon and he loves it.

My daughter, (6, CP, partially sighted (oh yes!!), autistic, LD's and ADHD) also does karate, she has been doing it for just over a year and is mad on it too. She is a very slow learner, it took her nearly a year to get ready for her first belt (usually takes about 2 months) but she loves it.

Sarah

im partially sighted,waiting for cornea transplants :rolleyes: i expect i would have to stand at front of class?

what does CP mean?

Cerebral palsy. My daughter has to stand at the front of the class, when she does the warm up she jogs round in a circle, holding onto one end of a karate belt, while the Sensei hold the other! He works one to one with her to show her new things, moving her arms and legs for her until she knows what she is supposed to do. Beleive it or not she has been in 2 competitions, both for able bodied competitors. One was a local one and one a national one. She didnt get anywhere in them but it was fabulous to see her compete and its all experience for her.

Sarah

Getting exercise helped me, usually swimming, although I did need something more to really lift me out of depression. The AD's along with counselling helped alot. I finally feel like ME again after a long, long time :)

Guest Lya of the Nox

i am with smiley

when feeling that bad u cant walk

but u are going through a really ruff point just now so u will feel better soon

and me, well i see myself sometimes, i force myself too to make me be me

x