Sign in to follow this  
Deedee

September new teacher and LSA's

Hi everyone I have M's annual review when we go back after half-term and I have asked if I can be told of the teaching arrangements for next year..Do you think this is a reasonable request? We have a difficult year ahead (yr4 mainstream) as we have been told there is no chance of M having his LSA again next year.He has had her for 2 years now and is adamant she's his for keeps!! :unsure:

We really need to get started on his transition book asap is there a certain date that schools sort this out or not? We are 'headless' at present,have been for over a year and last year the staff as well as the parents only found out when the kids returned in September :wallbash:

As teachers in my school, we'll find out in about three weeks. Parents find out when the reports go out at the beginning of July.

Last date for resignations is the Friday of the Summer half term ie today! Once you know whose going to be there in September, you can start shuffling people, personalities TAs and LSAs.

Why is M losing support, and how much support was s/he getting?

Are you expecting that to be confirmed in the annual review? The school might have an issue with giving you information before other parents. Silly maybe, but it causes complaints to governors and parents fighting in the playground. I'd argue for continued support if you think that M still needs it.

Hi Bard thanks for clarifying the situation for me from a staff point of view. M currently gets band 7 which I think is supposed to equate to 12.5 hrs a week.His whole statement is totally dodgy(so vague its untrue) so will be fighting to get that rectified first,as well as trying to keep what we have...When we had a head he would let me know when he knew as he understood I would not tell M or anyone else.I don't even know who's sorting it out this year and when I asked the school don't know either :wallbash: Sadly our school is in a 'bit of a state' to put it mildly!!!

Blimey. At our school the kids get an hour's transition visit to their new class two days before the end of term, by which time the teachers are so busy closing down for the summer they haven't time to talk to parents. I think they must do it on purpose - communication with parents isn't one of their strong points. I thought things like transition meetings with parents only happened at Nirvana Primary. Just goes to show how cr*p things really are where J goes.

Karen

x

We do introduction meetings with parents in the first week back. They're about 30/45 mins long, have talk and explanations then questions.

It covers timetable, organisation of classes (we set for some subjects) PE days, type of support and times,(though no names of children are mentioned), homework, uniform, trips etc. Parents ask things that they are happy to have discussed in an open forum. They go home with a timetable, an information sheet about which specific areas within subjects we are covering, and a calendar of Autumn Term events.

Parents can always ring to ask to see a teacher, either in the morning between 8.10-8.30, or after school, depending on teacher committments (clubs, staff meetings, planning meetings)

This year, I had * EAL, * new divorced, *able students, *ADHD, *allergy/asthma, *learning difficulties,

* crippling shyness and all the rest.

It's important to us all at my school that we get it right for as many as we can as quickly as we can, and we review things all the time. Several years ago, I had an AS child who adored one of my TAs and disliked the other intensely. So all his 1:1 work was done with me, or the TA he liked. That's not pampering to a spoiled brat, thet's logical.

Same with knowing what's going on as early as possible and updating in the light of new information. Poor communication lets everyone down, children most.

We let the parents know as soon as the staff know, transition starts with the new teacher going to visit the children they are inheriting in their current classroom so at least they are in a familiar environment, I expect we'll start doing this within the next week or two. We will have an open evening in two weeks so parents can come and meet the new teachers and see the classrooms

TA allocation hasnt been fully organised yet but again that should be done soon

we started secondary transition 2 weeks ago for the vulnerable pupils (including asd) and we have new pupils coming from a different school in september who are on the spectrum and their transition has been going on for 2 months now

I know its not always possible, as Bard says its still possible that we will go into school on Monday to find that some of the staff have handed in their notice, but as much as possible transition from any year group should be made as smooth as possible and this means loads of preparation for the pupils and information for parents

We were told the details of next year's class arrangements the week before half time, so we already know who Luke will have next year. The usual transition for all the children is a day in the new class during the last week of the summer term. We are hoping we may be able to get a little more for Luke, as we have a meeting with the Autism outreach team next week.

This year will be interesting with my younger two as I have moved them to a different primary school as I finally gave up with that one that let L down so badly.

My youngest went straight into Reception in the new school in January and my middle son is in year 5 transfered there this week when he was finally offered a place (we let him make the final decision and he was desperate to leave still)

So I don't know any of the teachers yet.

L will be going into Year 8.

We usually find out in the last week of school. My son has found the class moving a daunting time. I am dreading the nxt one.

His teacher this year has been great, she has a great undertsanding of his needs as she has taught many children similar in the past. I do not know the year 3 teachers so i do not know what experience they have and if the wil be so understanding. I might ask his current teacher her opinions next week and see what is happening. Her father works for my Husband so might get some info that way.